chapter 24 - jacket

~your p.o.v~

I stared at Two-bit, feeling taken aback by his words. He didn't think I was a soc at all? But how? Being a soc was all I had known my whole life. Sure, I had seen what the greaser lifestyle was like, but I simply watched it from afar. I just was associated with greasers, yet I never was one of them. But part of me desperately wanted that, I wanted to have just a taste of the lifestyle that didn't involve mustangs, dressing up in skirts and blouses, and being surrounded by fakes.

"Two-bit, I..." I trailed off, nervously biting my lip.

"I don't wanna be a soc anymore." I admitted. Two-bit nodded, a small smile on his face.

"Yeah, I know." He reassured me. He held his arms open, giving me a goofy smile. I giggled and walked over to him and he wrapped his arms around me, enveloping me in a comforting hug.

We parted and he threw his arms around my shoulders, and we continued to walk towards my house in a comfortable silence.

We finally made it to my house and I turned to him, smiling.

"Thanks, Two-bit. For everything, really." I said sincerely. He rocked back and forth on his heels, shoving his hands in his jean pockets while giving me a sheepish smile.

"Don't worry about it."

I turned to go into my house but, paused, quickly spinning back around.

"Oh that's right, here's your jacket-" As I was taking off his jacket Two-bit stopped me.

"No, keep it. It looks good on you. I have others anyway." He told me.

"You sure? Really, you don't have to-"

"Yeah, I'm sure. Besides, if you ever do consider becoming a greaser that'll come in handy." He joked. I chuckled.

"Don't let it go to waste, though. It's one of my favorite jackets and it'd be a shame for it to just be shoved in the back of your closet forever or something."

"I'll definitely wear it." I smiled, pulling it closer to me.

We said our goodbyes and I went inside, finding my brother asleep on the couch, his flask in his loose grip. I sighed, but grabbed the blanket from the foot of the couch and spread it across him.

I couldn't help but smile softly at the sight if my brother. He looked so peaceful when he was asleep. Innocent and younger. It was like for a brief amount of time he didn't have to worry about reality and he was truly at peace.

I walked by the couch, softly ruffling his hair and heading upstairs. I was exhausted from today's events and decided that I'd look for records to bring over to the Curtis house tomorrow instead of tonight.

I got changed into some pajamas and paused, my gaze travelling to the leather jacket set on my bed. I grabbed it and held it in my hands for a moment. I studied the jacket, the faint smell of beer and leather radiating from it. I snapped out of my daze and hung up the jacket.

I finally laid down in bed, staring out into the darkness. A million thoughts were running through my head. I opened up about some things to Two-bit tonight, and I feel like I definitely had some realisations. I never liked being a soc. It always felt wrong, yet I had never even considered doing something about it until now. I mean I'm Bob Sheldon's little sister! I'd have to be insane to ever try and stop being a soc. Imagine what people would say if I tried to be a greaser!

I continued starting at my ceiling, a sigh escaping my lips. I never felt like I fit in with the socs, and I was never a greaser. I felt isolated from both groups.

I felt like a true outsider.

I closed my eyes, feeling worn out from thinking so much. I felt my eyelids getting heavier and I knew I was on the brink of sleep.

I finally drifted off, getting a much needed night's rest.

-

I opened my eyes groggily, letting out a sleepy groan. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, my eyes wandering to the clock on my night stand. I could barely tell the time due to the fact I was half asleep, but after staring long enough I was able to realize that it was 10:00 in the morning. I threw my blanket off of me, stumbling over to my closet.

I scanned over what I had and grabbed an off white button up shirt that was knotted at the bottom and some light colored jeans.

I saw the leather jacket I had been given hanging in my closet and I remembered Two-bit's words. I reached my hands towards it but stopped, my hand hovering above the jacket. Leather jackets were known as the greasers' signature clothing. Would people get mad if I wore it?

"Screw it." I muttered, yanking it out of the closet and throwing it on. I made my way over to my mirror and stared at my reflection. My outfit looked like soc and greaser mixed together. Exactly how I was feeling at the moment.

I smirked to myself and grabbed my worn converse. I threw them on, not sure where I would be going. I was just going to walk. I mean after all I had the day off from school since Thomas had mentioned we had the rest of the week off. That also meant my plans with Cherry weren't until tomorrow.

I made my way downstairs and decided I'd eat some breakfast. I made myself a bowl of cereal and sat down at the table.

After I had started eating, my mom and Bob walked into the kitchen. Bob clearly had a bad hangover and my mom was acting cheery and bubbly as always.

Bob looked at me and immediately looked confused.

"What are you wearing?" He asked.

"Just a jacket. A friend gave it to me, don't want it to go to waste." I continued eating my cereal. Bob nodded slowly.

"Okay..." He mumbled, going over to the cabinets to grab himself a bowl. He poured himself some cereal and sat down right as I finished up.

"Well I'm gonna go out for the day, I'll see you guys later." I spoke up, grabbing my bowl and walking over to the sink, washing it.

After I finished I jogged over to my mom and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and made sure to ruffle Bob's hair on the way out, earning an annoyed grumble from him. I chuckled and left the kitchen.

Soon I was out the front door, wandering to who knows where.