chapter 72 - anywhere

this was a random turn for the story and super short lol enjoy?

~your p.o.v~

"You're not cold in just a t-shirt, Johnny?" I asked worriedly.

Dallas, Johnny and I were sitting on the porch, the sun going down in front of us. Johnny watched the sky with a kind of wonder in his eyes. He looked like Ponyboy in a way. Like he was in a dream state.

"I'm okay, it ain't too bad." He answered. A thought seemed to pop into his mind because he stood up.

"Ponyboy would wanna see this." Johnny made his way back inside.

Dallas and I sat in silence, shoulder to shoulder as I looked up at the sky and he played with the ring on his finger, a bored expression on his face.

"Do you ever look at sunsets, Dal?" I asked, breaking my gaze away from the sky and looking at him. Dal laughed and looked at me.

"Oh wait, you're serious?" He seemed surprised. I rolled my eyes.

"Well, yeah. I'm not saying you have to be like Ponyboy necessarily, but do you ever just stop and look at the sunset? Just slow down and really look at it?"

"I've never thought about it." He answered truthfully.

"I think you'd maybe like it. You should try it sometime." I went back to looking at the sky and I felt Dal's gaze linger on me for a moment before he went back to looking at his hands.

Johnny and Ponyboy emerged from the house again and they stayed standing behind us.

"I thought you'd want to see the sunset." I heard Johnny speak quietly to Ponyboy. I smiled to myself at Johnny's kindness.

"It looks a lot like the one we saw at the church." Ponyboy spoke softly. I looked up at Ponyboy and he was focused on the sunset.

"I bet it was real pretty." I said and Ponyboy smiled.

"You should've seen it."

We all stayed quiet for another moment and I looked over at Dallas. His eyes were now looking at the sky, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Going to Windrixville was the only time I left this neighborhood, you know." Johnny said out of the blue. Everyone stayed quiet, waiting for him to continue. It was like we were all holding our breath, wondering what he had to say.

"It was nice getting out of here. I spent so much time in the same old neighborhood, I pretty much forgot there was a world outside of Tulsa. I considered killing myself or something, I was sick of all this."

I felt my heart skip a beat at the mention of him considering something like that, but I stayed silent.

"Now I know that doing something like that ain't an option. I'm only sixteen, there's so much I haven't done. There's still so many places I have to go." Johnny spoke with a new confidence in his voice. He was determined to do something with his life before he died and I admired this side of him. 

"We should go somewhere together sometime. A road trip or something." I blurted out, looking at Johnny. Johnny smiled.

"You'd really wanna do that? For me?" He asked. I stood up, smiling.

"Of course I would, Johnny! We should do this!" I exclaimed. Johnny laughed in disbelief.

"You'd take me somewhere that's not Tulsa?"

"Yeah, I'd take you a-and even Ponyboy could come if he wanted! Dal, would you wanna come on a road trip?" I turned to Dallas and he seemed hesitant.

"Sitting in the car for hours?" He didn't seem pleased with the thought.

"Come on, you'd love it." I begged.

"Come on, Dal." Johnny also pleaded quietly. Dallas looked between the both of us, staying quiet.

"Fine, but only because you two begged me, alright?" He gave in. Johnny and I smiled at each other excitedly.

"I want to go, but I have school." Ponyboy seemed disappointed. I thought about what I could do about it. Maybe I could somehow talk to Darry about it? Ponyboy could easily get his schoolwork and so could I.

"I'll talk to Darry, I think I could work something out for you." I ruffled Ponyboy's hair and he grinned.

"Where would we go?" Dal asked. I looked at Dal, a feeling of euphoria over taking me.

"We can go anywhere we want."