chapter 36 - you never know

~your p.o.v~

I opened my eyes groggily to feel someone repeatedly poking my face. Sun was shining through the windows, and I was immediately irritated.

"Jesus Christ, get off me." I muttered, shoving whoever was poking me. Of course, I heard Two-bit's cackle.

"Shh!" I shushed Two-bit rudely, letting out a whine as I pulled the jacket I was using as a blanket over my head.

"Rise and shine, dumbass!" Two-bit sang, pulling the jacket away from me.

"Rise and shine dumbass!" I imitated him in a stupid voice, rubbing my eyes as I sat up and stretched. I looked around.

And saw the whole fucking gang.

Awake.

Giggling at the fact that I was being a little brat while I was half asleep.

"The whole gang's awake?!" I exclaimed, my eyes widening in shock and embarrassment. The whole gang roared with laughter, causing my face to turn red.

Even Dallas was fucking suffocating, so I threw his jacket at him harshly. He just laughed more, mentioning something about how I was throwing a fit in between laughs.

"Th-the way she mimicked Two-bit, I can't-" Sodapop cut himself off by falling into another laughing fit.

"I wish I died in my sleep." I muttered, standing up and stretching.

"Alright, now that Y/n's up-" I cut Ponyboy off with a mutter.

"Unfortunately." Ponyboy simply rolled his eyes at me, a smile on his face.

"Now that she's up, we can pick out the names."

I sat on the couch next to Two-bit and he threw his arm around my shoulders as I leaned into him. I was still tired and began dozing off, but Two-bit snapped in my face which made my eyes open again.

Ponyboy went on to explain what we were doing and how it was like a secret Santa game for New year's Eve.

He then went around and had us pick names that were written on pieces of paper from a bowl. I picked a name and scoffed internally when I saw who I got.

Dallas.

Why am I not surprised?

Two-bit leaned over to peak at who I got, and when he saw who it was he began snickering.

"What are you laughin' about?" I shoved him jokingly.

We all finished up getting assigned names and decided to go our separate ways to get presents. I got Dallas's name and I already knew what I was going to get him. It was gonna be something small and simple.

I was walking with Two-bit, but Dallas was trailing behind us. I let out an annoyed sigh, hoping he'd go in a different direction soon or something.

Soon, I came to a complete stop and turned to Dallas.

"Are you following us?" I asked. He chuckled, lighting a cigarette.

"Bet you'd like me followin you around, doll."

"It's the opposite, actually. Makes you seem clingy."

Two-bit smirked at me knowingly, aware of the fact that I was trying to get him to go away so I could buy his present. I just gave a small shrug, making it clear I had absolutely no clue what I was doing.

Dallas raised his eyebrows in amusement.

"Clingy, huh? Oh, that's real funny." He muttered, immediately walking off and grumbling something about how he wasn't clingy.

Two-bit and I watched him walk off and we both laughed.

"That was easy. I guess any time you want him to go away you just gotta call him clingy." I spoke after I had finished laughing.

We kept walking and I remembered that earlier I wanted to ask Two-bit about who he got for the secret santa.

"Hey, who'd you end up getting for secret santa anyway?" I questioned.

"The kid." He answered, kicking a rock as we walked.

"Ponyboy?"

"Yep." He said. I smiled to myself.

"I was actually hoping to get Ponyboy at first." I admitted, shoving my hands into my pockets. Two-bit looked over at me momentarily before continuing to stare at his feet.

"Oh yeah, why's that?"

"I feel like I just know what he would've liked, I don't know. He's a good kid." I spoke softer at the end.

"I would've thought you'd want only Dally." Two-bit said, smiling.

"Why's that?"

"Seems like you guys really dig each other." He smirked at me. I chuckled.

"Nah, we don't feel anything towards each other. Besides, I'm just a soc anyway." I sighed. Two-bit now looked at me.

"You sure about that?"

"Sure about what?"

"Seems like you have a little crush." He nudged me with his shoulder and I laughed.

"Where'd you get that idea?" I looked at him.

"A little birdy told me..."

"What's that supposed to mean? Who's this little birdy?" I whined, grabbing his arm and stopping him from walking away. He simply giggled.

"Two-bit, come on man."

"You told me when you were drunk." He finally caved in and answered. My eyes widened.

"Damn it." I muttered to myself. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, continuing to walk.

"Hey, chin up kid. It's no big deal. And who knows? Dal might end up digging you too." Two-bit reassured me. I smiled, looking at my feet.

"It's no big deal. Dal already said he didn't dig me. It's cool."

"Hey, but you never know!" Two-bit protested. I chuckled. 

"Yeah, never know." I gave him a small, forced smile.

We continued walking and I saw a gas station come into sight.

"Oh hey, could we stop in here? This is where I'm getting Dal's present." I asked, pausing in front of the gas station.

"Yeah, sure." He said and we entered the gas station.

I went to the counter and asked for six packs of cigarettes. The cashier gave me a weird look, obviously concerned with why I'd want that many packs, but placed them on the counter anyway.

I paid for them and walked down an aisle, finding Two-bit who was mindlessly wandering.

"Hey, Two-bit!" I called since he was at the other end of the aisle. "Catch!" I tossed him a pack of cigarettes and he caught it with one hand swiftly.

"Make that part of Ponyboy's gift, I know he'll like it." I said, waving him over since I was ready to head out. We left the gas station and walked in silence for a moment.

"You think you could help me with Pony's gift?" Two-bit questioned. I smiled.

"Yeah, I will," I pat him on the shoulder. "I think I know a good place for Ponyboy's gift."