chapter 85 - mess

~your p.o.v~

"JOHNNY!" I screamed, shooting up from the hood of the car.

"Taste of your own medicine, grease!" A soc yelled, flicking out a blade and striking Johnny in the stomach. Johnny's eyes widened and he fell to his knees.

The soc pulled the knife out and Johnny wrapped his arms around his middle, a strangled cry passing his lips. He fell onto his back.

Everyone watched, trying to process what just happened. There was exclamations of shock and horror.

I scrambled to the back of the mustang, opening the door to the backseat. I unzipped my suitcase and grabbed the gun, slamming the door shut.

I stared at the boy that was looking down at the injured Johnny menacingly.

Everyone's attention turned to me as I cocked the gun, my eyes on the soc.

"Get away from him!" I yelled. The soc scoffed.

"You ain't gonna shoot."

I took the safety off the gun, staring him down.

"Don't make me shoot." I growled.

"You won't do anything. I should've gone ahead and slit his throat." He snarled. I glanced at Johnny's now passed out form on the ground, his shirt torn and stained with blood.

Without thinking, I aimed the gun and shot. The soc immediately collapsed.

The only sound was the echo of the gunshot and the sound of the boy hitting the ground.

There was a moment of silence before the socs all ran in different directions, desperately trying to escape the crime scene.

My body was shaking. I shot someone. I fucking killed someone.

I knew I had to act fast.

"Dallas, grab Johnny." I ordered, my voice wavering. Dallas came over and scooped the unconscious Johnny into his arms.

I made my way over to my car and opened the driver's door quickly. Before I could slam the door shut I heard a voice.

"Wait, I wanna come with you!" Ponyboy called, running over.

Dallas got into the passenger seat and Ponyboy climbed into the back, where Johnny was.

"Apply pressure to the stab wound, Ponyboy. That's all we can do for him right now." I spoke urgently. Ponyboy nodded, listening to my instructions.

Ponyboy gently laid Johnny's head on his lap, looking down at the boy with teary eyes. Despite the fear he was probably feeling, he listened to me and began applying pressure. I noticed this in the rearview mirror as I quickly drove off. Ponyboy looked back up.

"You really killed that kid, huh?" Ponyboy's voice was shaky and he let out a quiet sob. Tears streamed down my face.

"I had to. He tried to k-kill Johnny."

I glanced over at Dallas and he was silent, his eyes glassy. I felt horrible about all of this.

"You could go to jail, Y/n! Or worse, they put you in the electric chair for this kinda stuff!" Ponyboy cried out. I slammed my hand on the wheel.

"God damnit Ponyboy, I know what I did! I just need some time to figure out what the fuck I'm gonna do!" I yelled, everything becoming too overwhelming.

Ponyboy went silent. I glanced in the rearview mirror once again and saw he had his face buried in his hands.

"P-Ponyboy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I'm just real scared, that's all. Everything's gonna be fine though, okay?" I spoke softer, feeling bad about snapping at Ponyboy.

"I-it's alright."

-

Ponyboy, Dallas, and I were stuck in the waiting room. Ponyboy was dozing off and Dallas was staring blankly at the wall. He seemed as if he had gone numb, completely unaware of his surroundings.

I sighed, standing up. I had seen a payphone around here in the hospital, so I decided I'd use it. I had some change on me and I knew there were people who probably wanted to hear from us.

I wandered around and eventually found the payphone. I put in my quarters and dialed a number that I had memorized by now.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Steve."

"Y/n, is everything okay?" Steve asked frantically.

"Yeah, Johnny's in the hospital. I killed that soc, man." My voice broke at the last sentence.

"Yeah, I know."

"Hey, could you put Two-bit on the phone?"

"Sure."

There was muffled talking and moments later I heard the comforting voice of Two-bit.

"Y/n?"

"Two-bit, hey."

"I'm real worried about you guys. How are you holding up?" He asked. I gripped the phone tightly.

"I don't know. I-I killed someone. I'll probably have to leave town for a long time, Two-bit." I laughed sadly, tears pricking my eyes.

"You've really gotten yourself into a mess, huh?" His voice was shaky and full of pain, but he still attempted to laugh and lighten the mood.

"I'll stick around for a bit, at least until we know the news about Johnny. I have to stay on the down low, though. After that, I don't know when you guys will see me again." I cried after my sentence. I couldn't believe what I had done. I got myself into such a big mess.

"You should come back to the Curtis house when you can. The gang is gonna have a lot of questions. Besides... It'd probably be best for you to say goodbye in person."

I stayed quiet, silently crying.

"I love you, Two-bit."

"I love you too."

I hung up the phone.