17. FAKE WANDS

| CHAPTER SEVENTEEN |

FAKE WANDS.

HAZEL, CHARLIE AND BILL HEARD a loud door slam in the kitchen. The trio shared a worried glance before getting up off the couch and walking towards the kitchen. Hermione, Ron, Harry and Ginny running down the stairs to follow the trio in.

"We're eating out in the garden," Mrs. Weasley stated when she heard the kitchen door creak open. 

Hazel immediately noticed that the woman was alone in the kitchen.

"Charlie, can you and Bill go and set the table? Girls could you take the plates and cups? Harry and Ron could you take the cutlery?" She asked as she pointed her wand at a pile of potatoes that were in the sink. 

Before Hazel could even walk over to the cup cupboard, the potatoes shot up out of their skins so fast that they smashed against the ceiling and walls of the kitchen. Bits of them even flew into Hazel's hair.

"Oh, for heaven's sake!" Mrs. Weasley snapped, before she muttered a cleaning spell under her breath. The potatoes disappearing from the wall, ceiling and Hazel's hair in a blink of an eye, "Those two!" She burst as she pulled pots and pans out of the cupboards, "I don't know what's going to happen to them, I really don't. No ambition, unless you count making as much trouble as they possibly can.." Mrs. Weasley slammed a large saucepan down on the kitchen table and waved her wand around it, "It's not as though they haven't got brains...but they're wasting them, and unless they pull themselves together soon, they'll be in real trouble. I've had more owls from Hogwarts about them than the rest put together. If they carry on this way, they're going to end up in front of the Improper Use of Magic office."

Hazel frowned at Mrs. Weasley's words. Sure, the twins were pranksters, but they were smart. And, yeah, they get in a decent amount of trouble at school, but they don't hurt anyone, especially not on purpose, they're simply enjoying their teenage years. In Hazel's eyes, the twins were amazing people, who don't deserve to be compared to anyone. 

"I don't know where we went wrong with them," Mrs. Weasley continued, "It's been the same for years, one thing after another, and they won't listen to- OH, NO NOT AGAIN!" She picked up her wand from the table as it began emitting loud quacks before turning into a rubber mouse, "One of their fake wands, again!" Mrs. Weasley yelled, "How many times have I told those two not to leave them lying around?!" She grabbed her real wand and turned back to the stove that was now smoking. 

Bill and Charlie had somehow managed to sneak away without Hazel even noticing. The brunette spotted Ron and Harry grabbing as much cutlery as they could before practically sprinting out of the kitchen; Ginny and Hermione hot on their heels with piles of plates in their arms. 

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Weasley," Hazel apologised, causing Mrs. Weasley to jump in fright before turning around to look at the girl, confused as to why she was apologising. 

With a soft face, Mrs. Weasley shook her head, "Oh, it's not your fault, deary--"

Hazel nodded her head, "Yes, yes it is, Mrs. Weasley," She said softly, her doe eyes looking directly at the older woman, "The fake wands were my idea."

Mrs. Weasley looked at the girl in shock. Her eyes were wide and her mouth open, but, before she could say anything, the brunette grabbed a few cups in her hand and walked outside, her head hanging low. 

Hazel handed the cups over to Bill as he placed them down, before she glanced around the garden. She finally spotted the twins standing further away, throwing gnomes across the fence into the wheat field. Hazel decided to finally go up to them. She walked through the garden before announcing her presence when she was near enough.

Fred didn't look back, but George did. His eyes were sad but lit up somewhat when he spotted the brunette.

"You guys alright?" She asked sheepishly, fiddling with her hands.

Fred shrugged as he threw yet another gnome, "Yeah, we're fine."

"We're used to it," George added with a saddened smile before he bend down to pick up a screaming gnome. 

Hazel didn't really know what to say. So, instead of saying anything, she grabbed hold of a gnome by his legs, swung him around; just like the twins had done before, then she let him go, watching as he flew through the air into the wheat field.

"Looks like you're getting better at that," George commented, smiling brightly at the brunette causing her cheeks to heat up.

Hazel shrugged nonchalantly, "Years of practise," she laughed causing George to laugh as well. Her smile was just too contagious for him. He seemed to always smile or laugh whenever she did. 

Their eyes were glued to one another's, they didn't even hear Fred snickering behind them before he finally walked off, leaving the two standing there alone. 

"I think they're brilliant, by the way."

George raised an eyebrow.

"Your sweets," Hazel clarified, "I really think you two can make something out of all this."

George smiled before looking away from the brunette, "Looks like you're the only one that thinks that, though."

Hazel frowned slightly, "She'll come around eventually," The brunette said, hoping to bring George some comfort. Without even thinking, she stood up on her tip-toes and placed her soft lips on George's cheek. They lingered there for a few seconds; causing both herself and George to turn as red as tomatoes, before Hazel finally pulled away and without another word, turned back around, heading in the direction of the outdoor table.