29. FIRST TASK

| CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE |

FIRST TASK.

TAKING IN A DEEP BREATH, Hazel opened the flap of the tent and was instantly met by loud cheering coming from the stadiums. However, due to the nerves, the brunette couldn't focus on the students and Professors that overlooked the task, all her eyes could see was the Hungarian Horntail that laid in the corner of the ring.

The dragon hadn't noticed Hazel just yet, it seemed to be more focused on the Golden Egg that laid just underneath it. 

Hazel gripped her wand tightly in her palm before taking a small step forward. She winced when her foot accidentally hit some loose pebbles that went rolling down the small hill, of course, gaining the attention of the dragon.

Hazel could practically feel the Hungarian Horntail glaring at her, and without thinking she ran behind a large boulder missing the fire from the angered dragon by mere inches. The sound of her rapid heartbeat was blocking out all the sounds from the crowd.

As Hazel was thinking about what to do next, her eyes managed to focus on George. Even from such a far distance she could make out the worry on his face. When their eyes met something seemed to change in the brunette, the volume of her beating heart seemed to decrease significantly and she seemed to feel at ease; even with the humongous dragon behind her. 

Finally, after gaining some more courage, Hazel peeked her head over the large boulder, it only took seconds before the dragon let out another fiery breath her way. So the next time she peeked her head at it, she did it from the side. She scanned the rocky area, hoping to find something that could help her when she finally spotted another large boulder from the corner of her eye.

Adrenaline pumped through her body as she suddenly ran at it. She lost her footing a couple of times but managed to reach the boulder just in time to not get burnt. Breathing heavily, the brunette girl lifted her hand up, pointing her wand at the boulder she just moved away from.

Thinking back to a very old Transfiguration lesson, Hazel muttered a quiet spell under her breath and watched as light emitted from her wand and hit the boulder. The boulder suddenly changed into a fluffy, white sheep. This got the dragon's attention almost immediately, and without thinking, the magnificent beast stood up off the Golden Egg and began to make it's way to the confused looking sheep.

The sheep must've noticed the large creature moving it's way, and suddenly it ran to the opposite side of the ring, the Hungarian Horntail following it incredibly fast. When Hazel felt satisfied that the dragon was occupied, she finally took her chance and moved away from the safety of the boulder and sprinted towards the dragon's nest, glancing back over her shoulder every so often.

She almost screamed with joy when she finally reached the Golden Egg and not thinking twice about it, the brunette grabbed the Golden object in her hand and tucked it under her arm as the crowd erupted into loud applause.

"YOU DID SO WELL, WOLF!"

Hazel chucked as Fred wrapped his arms around her and picked her up. He, Lee and George managed to sneak out of the crowd and to the Medical Tent where Hazel currently was as Madam Pomfrey checked her over for any injuries.

As soon as the older woman spotted the Weasley twins and Lee bouncing into the tent, she gave Hazel her diagnosis and ushered the four of them out of the tent. The brunette didn't have any life threatening injuries, merely a couple of scratches on her legs and face that she didn't even feel.

"That was so good, Hazel!" Lee exclaimed excitingly, "I even put a bet on you and it seems like you did it in record time!"

Hazel couldn't deny the proud feeling that settled in her stomach. She felt accomplished that she managed to achieve the first task. Her eyes landed on George who sheepishly smiled at her, "I'm so proud of you, little wolf."

She could feel her cheeks reddening at his words, "Thanks Georgie," She smiled widely at him, her eyes still locked on his.

Fred noticed the exchange between his twin and his best friend and so he nudged Lee before the pair of them managed to sneak away, giggling to themselves like a couple of school girls.

"Is everything okay, Georgie?" Hazel asked softly, she seemed to notice a strange look in his eyes.

He nodded and let out a loud exhale, "I was just so worried about you," He admitted, his eyes boring into hers.

"You didn't have to be, I'm all okay," She tried to reason with him, she didn't want him worrying about her, she didn't want anyone worrying about her.

"I know, and you have no idea how happy I am that you're okay."

Hazel could've sworn she saw his cheeks change to a light pink colour when he said that.

Hazel couldn't tell whether the adrenaline was still pumping through her veins. Or maybe it was just the fact that completing the first task had a strange effect on her confidence. But whatever it was, Hazel didn't mind it one bit as it gave her the confidence to throw her arms around the ginger haired boy before she smashed her lips right on top of his.