Chapter 20 - Carlac

I landed on a snowy hillside at night. It was cold, but nothing like what I've been through in hell. Hell could go from hundreds of degrees to negative 150 or so overnight and I'd gotten far used to it.

I looked around and saw smoke rising in the distance. That must've be been where civilization was, so I started making my way towards it.

As I got nearer to the smoke, I saw that it was a camp with lots of soldiers walking around. Upon closer inspection I realised that they were Deathwatch. I made my way down to the camp and tried to recruit myself.

"Hey, who are you?" One of them shouted.

"Relax, I only want to join." I replied while trying my best to stay cool.

"Let's see what the boss has to say about that." He replied before shooting me in the leg, only for his shots to bounce right off my armour.

"You can't hurt me. Besides, I only want to join you." I said.

By now a few more Deathwatch troops had gathered to see what was happening.

"I'll go get the boss." One said as they walked off. I noticed that they had a different helmet on. I also realised that they were a girl as well which I found a bit unusual, since Deathwatch is almost entirely men.

All the Deathwatch troops stood around me, some with guns pointed at me and others just talking to each other. After a few minutes, the weird helmet woman came back with another person with a different helmet entirely. I could tell that this was their leader.

"Well greetings, soldier. What brings you here?" He said as he walked over to me.

"I'd like to join you in Deathwatch." I said.

"Oh, and what do you think you could bring to the team?" He said as he took his helmet off, revealing his face. I couldn't exactly remember who he was but I think his name was something like Pre Vizsla.

"More than you think." I replied.

Vizsla sniggered and walked around me, inspecting my suit.

"Fine suit you got there. What's it made from?" He asked.

"Uh, vibranium." I replied, not wanting to blow my cover. If I'd said it was from hell, he'd probably know that I was here to kill the priest.

"What's it like?" He asked.

"Pretty strong." I said.

"How strong exactly?" Vizsla asked as he stepped closer to me.

"Try it with anything you want." I replied. Vizsla stepped back and looked at his troops.

"Alright boys. He wants us to try his suit with everything we got, so let's give him it." He shouted. As he did, all the soldiers raised their guns and aimed at me. "Fire!" He shouted.

All the soldiers opened fire on me. The force of the bullets barely did anything to my suit or to me. It felt as if someone was flicking peas at me they were that insignificant.

After the soldiers had expended all of their ammo, they all turned to each other, dumbfounded at my suits integrity.

"Wow. That suit sure is strong." Vizsla said as he turned around. "Is it strong enough to survive this!?" He shouted as he drew his dark saber and hit me with it as hard as he could. The saber hit my suit and stopped dead in its tracks. I didn't even move or flinch as it hit me either.

Vizsla stood back in shock at what had just happened.

"Oh, oh my. That suit sure is strong." He said as he looked up at me. "W-welcome to Deathwatch, soldier."