Chapter 39: Alessandro

Mason

This feels like a fucking dream where I'll wake up any at minute now.

Our baby is already here with us.

This is surreal.

My hand is numb from the squeezing Scarlett was doing, which I flex to return the blood to it, as my beautiful woman breaths out with relief when the nurses put Alessandro in her arms.

Our eyes lock, as we share a delighted smile.

Welcome to the world, Alessandro.

I lean down to kiss Scarlett sweaty forehead.

"I love you, Scarlett." I mumble only for her, feeling tears pricking my eyes.

I can't believe how far we've came.

She nods with teary eyes, before looking down at Alessandro, and we admire our little baby, whose cries are calming as Scarlett and I caress his rosy cheeks.

He's so small.

"Do you want to hold him?" Her hoarse voice whispers, and looking back at her, silent happy tears running down her cheeks, I hesitate.

"What if I hurt him?"

"You won't." She smiles softly at me, her face pale.

It was some hard an long hours, I don't know if I could handle what she just passed, but she's so strong.

Cautiously, she lifts Alessandro to put him in my arms, only one it's enough to hold him, but I still put the other as well.

I'm scared I'll hurt him, or that he falls.

Goddamn my heart has never beaten this wildly before.

My son. Our son.

This time I don't stop the tears, as I smile down at our baby, and I feel Scarlett soft fingers wiping them.

"Hi baby." I whisper softly, my finger brushing his cute little nose.

"He looks like me." Scarlett says, making me laugh through the tears falling.

She just gave birth, and still can be sassy.

"He's a mini me, kitten. You can't compete." She rolls her gleaming gray eyes at me, and it's then that I notice her blinks are heavy and slow, hands shaking as she strokes Alessandro chubby legs.

"Do you feel ok, Scar?"

She shakes her head.

"I'm... dizzy." She slowly says, making my eyes snap to the nurses in worry.

They see my look and rush to Scarlett side asking her what she feels as I rock Alessandro, who has stopped crying already.

My concern raises when the nurses ask her to stay calm and focus on her breathing.

What's happening?

"Cal, we need water." The nurse says to the other one, who nods and rushes out of the room.

"What's happening, is she ok?"

"She's really weak, almost passing out." She says, checking some kind of machine connected to Scarlett arm.

"What? Kitten..." My eyes snap to hers, but she shakes her head. "It's fine, Mason. I'm fine."

She's not fine, she's getting paler by the minute.

The nurse barges inside the room with a towel and a water bottle.

They put the towel above Scarlett forehead and struggling with shaky hands, she gulps small sips of the water.