4- Civil.

I sat at the dining table, doing my work that I needed to do. Someone came in and I slowly looked up. I then saw Vanessa. She had a cup of coffee in her hand. I didn't say anything and looked back at the computer. I wrote another number down on my note pad. 

"You can sit down if you want. it's rude to stare." I say, after a while of her standing there. She sits down in front of me and watches what I do. 

"You have companies?" She asks, confused. I shrug. 

"I guess." I tear off the page I was working on and set it with the other one. 

"What are you doing?"

"Looking at inventories." She furrowed her eyebrows and I looked at her. "It's for the week. I do it at least once a week then I add the numbers at the end of the month. It's simpler like that. I just have to keep these to add the others. Considering it's the end of the month, all I have to do is do this round then add it all up." 

"What company do you run?" She asks, curious. 

"It's not a company, so say. It's mostly all restaurants and hotels." I say, shrugging. "Then, I added the gyms, the bars, hospitals, and some other things."

"You inherited this, didn't you?"

"Yeah, I did. Inherited about 5 years ago? It's been a long time since I thought about it." I say, shrugging. She nods. "It's easy once you get the hang of it."

"So, how many things are you in charge of?"

"About 80? That's all restaurants, gyms, bars, and all of that. It's all here in the US and Italy. I'm trying to push it towards the other places. Russia, China, all of those." I say, frowning. She nods. 

"You're a busy person." I nod.

"Along with other things." 

"Does everybody know you're running it?"

"Not really. I'm just a person in the background. They report to me, but they don't know who I am. It's safer like that considering I'm only 16." She nods. "They'll all meet me when I turn 18, in two years."

"Do your twins know about this?" She asks, curious. I tensed up.

"Angel knows. Damien doesn't. We're not close. It's fine. I don't care." I say, shrugging. 

I was lying through my teeth. Truth was, I did care. I cared about it a lot. I tried, I really did but we just don't get along. It's mostly because Damien hates me for what happened 10 years ago and his hatred kept growing over the years. It wasn't my fault what happened over the years. He just, doesn't ask about it. I wouldn't tell him the truth, until I was ready but who knows when that will be.

"Are you going to work?" I ask, looking at the uniform. She nods.

"In a few. How long have you been up?" She asks, glancing at the papers.

"Didn't go to sleep. I was watching movies but I wanted work to be done so I came down here. Some nights I can't sleep. Other ones I can." I say, making her frown.

"Do you want sleeping pills?"

"No. They don't work." I say, lying through my teeth. They work all right but they don't mix with alcohol. Trust me, I should know. 

"Oh." She looks at her watch. "I have to go. I'll be back later tonight. 12 hour shift." 

"Oh, have fun." She nods and stands up. "Bye Vanessa." She smiles at me and leaves.

A huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. I haven't opened up to anyone in a really long time. Not since I met the person who I inherited this from. I sigh and continue working. 

--

I was on my 2nd cup of coffee when Angel came in. She was wearing tights and a sweatshirt. She looked at me and I looked at her. 

"You hate waking up."

"I hate waking up when I'm drunk the night before. Wasn't drunk last night." She frowns. 

She hated when I told her the things I do. She doesn't know everything. She just knows the details about me drinking. She doesn't know about anything else.  

"That will ruin your body." She says, sadly. 

"I'll live." I say, shrugging. I looked back at my computer and wrote another number down. 

"What one are you on?" She asks, curious. 

"Gyms. I took a break about an hour ago. I'm fine, Angel." She sighs. I look at her. "I'm fine, Angel. Nothing is wrong."

"I know but sometimes you lie." I tensed up. "You like suffering alone. It's not healthy, Maeve. It's going to hurt but you know we're here for you."

"Don't. I don't need a lecture. You're just like Damien." I say, coldly. She sighs and leaves the dining room.

Soon, everybody left besides Damien. I shut my laptop down and grabbed everything I needed. I went upstairs to my room when I saw he was in there. I rolled my eyes and set my laptop down. I set my papers back into their folder. I sat in the chair and took my glasses off. 

Yes, I have glasses. I only use them for when I'm reading or staring at a computer a lot. 

"We have to talk."

"Great. A lecture." I mumble. 

"Dammit Maeve. I'm trying to be civil here. We do have to live in the same house until we turn 18." I look at him. 

"Let's see, I think I already know what this is about. You want us to act all nice to each other for Angel's sake? Fine. Just know, she knows when we're faking something. She'll see right through your little play." 

"You know what, I'm not doing this with you." With that, he leaves my room. I bit my lip. 

The weight from earlier, got placed back onto my shoulders. I knew what I was doing. I was pushing him away. I wasn't trying, it's just that's all I know. I don't like when people get close to me. Especially when they're family. I can't lose family when they know things. I just can't lose any more people. I can't go through that again.