11- Fair.

I took a sip of my coffee and stared at the thing in front of me.

"Do you like it?" Angel asks, excitedly. I look at her then back at the art work.

"What exactly is it going to be used for?" I ask, confused.

"Art. She said to do something creative." She says, her smile slowly turning into a frown.

"I think it looks amazing, Ange." Damien says, nicely. He looked at me. I tilted my head. After a while of not saying anything, he glared at me.

"Do you not like it?" Angel asks, softly. My eyes flick over to her.

"What? No. I like it. I just spaced out. I'm sorry." I say, feeling bad. "This is for a competition, right? I heard about it from your friend. Shit, what's her name again? I swear, she told me like a million times and I forgot. Anyway, she started talking about the competition when you weren't here a few days ago and I was. She was going on and on about something. Fuck, what the hell was it?"

"The fair?" Angel asks, confused. I clicked my tongue.

"That's it. Yeah, she said something about that. I forget what but anyway, I like it. It suits you, you know?" She smiles, huge. Damien looked at me weird and I looked at him. "What?"

"You hung out with a new person?" He asks, confused.

"I mean, yeah, why?"

"You hate hanging out with new people. People in general." Angel says, making me look at her.

"Well your friend wouldn't leave me alone so I talked to her, is that a bad thing?" They shake their heads.

"No, Maeve." Angel says, smiling at me. I shrug and take another sip of my coffee.

"When's your fair, and are you inviting us?" Damien asks, curious.

"It's next month. We have to submit everything by next week." He raised an eyebrow. "It's on the 24th."

I looked away from them. The 24th was my ball. I couldn't move the date considering the invites got sent out today. I sent them out this morning by email. I was going to invite them but now I won't. I won't have them picking me over her. She deserves the siblings going to the fair if her art work will be displayed. I could care less if they come to my ball. I could care less if Damien gets pissed at me for not being there for her. I could care less. I'll be fine with all of that.

"Are we all invited?"

"Duh." She says, in a playful tone. I put on a fake smile and look at her. "I may even get a scholarship!"

I took a deep breath. Now I won't tell them. My phone buzzes, making me look at it. I left the person on read and put it in my pocket. She looked at me.

"Do you have to go?"

"No. Wasn't anyone important."

I may get heartbroken by them not going to the ball, but I'll be alright. In the end, I'm always alright. That's just who I am. I'm always fine even if I have to put a fake smile on my face. I'll be fine in the end.

I take another drink of my coffee and look at the painting while Angel and Damien talk. I took in everything she painted. She was talented. She shared the gene with me too.

--

I watched as the sun rose. I was smoking. I felt guilty for some reason. I didn't want to miss her fair, I really didn't but I knew if I canceled this ball, then people would start withdrawing their money.

Someone came out and stood next to me. I looked at Angel and immediately put my cigarette out. She hated the smell of it. I didn't blame her but after a while, I got used to it.