48- Funeral.

The siblings and Anna were standing behind me along with everybody in the entire mafia. Lucian stood next to me along with the kids. They were both holding onto my hand. Killian didn't do funerals but he made an exception for me considering he's standing right by me. 

"How are you holding up?" Lucian whispers, looking at me. 

"I'm alright. You?" He shrugs. 

"I'm not worried about me. I'm more worried about you." I glanced at him, before looking back at the casket. 

I didn't talk for the rest of the funeral. It wasn't because of the pain I started to feel in my torso. I just simply didn't want to talk. It's as simple as that. 

The funeral went by slowly. I wanted it to be over. I didn't even want to be here. I was only here because Lucian practically dragged me out of bed. 

The last few days haven't been the greatest. If it was Angel telling this, she would say they were the absolute worse for me. 

After me and Killian fell asleep in the hospital bed, everything was fine until it wasn't. It wasn't until two days after did I finally break down. Nobody knew Bethany was dead besides me and those guards. They didn't want to be the ones to tell people. I had to do it on my own terms. 

I was with my kids that day and they asked me when their grandma would be here. I don't remember the tears that leaked out of my eyes or the sob that escaped. Angel and Sebastian got the kids out by promising them treats and ice cream. Nobody could calm me down. Not the doctors. Not my siblings. Nobody could calm me down. Killian climbed up into the bed and just pulled me into his lap so I could sob into his shirt. I passed out after a few minutes. Nobody spoke about it but they got a gist of it. 

"Maeve?" Someone whispers, putting a hand on my shoulder. I looked back at Damien then noticed how everybody was slowly leaving. He wiped the tears that was coming out of my eyes again, a small frown on his face. "Do you want us to drive you home?" 

"No, I'm okay." Concern was on his face but he didn't really say anything about it. 

"Okay. We'll check on you later, though. We're gonna take off. I would stay longer but I have the shop to open."

"Go, it's fine. I'll be okay." He stared at me for a second longer, before nodding. He brought me into a hug, pressing a kiss to my forehead. 

"Call me if you need anything. I don't care what time or if I'm busy, I'll answer." 

"I know." I whispered. All the siblings hugged me and saying goodbye to me and the kids. It was finally time for Axel to hug me. 

"How long will you be gone?" He whispers into my ear, hugging me a bit longer. 

"I don't know. I'll call you every other day, okay?" I whispered, pulling back. He nods. "I'll send pictures too."

"You better answer every time I call you, Maeve. If not-"

"I already know." I whispered. I looked at the watch on his wrist, a small frown appearing on my face. "We're late, Axel." 

"Call me when you guys land, okay?" 

"I will. I promise." He pressed a kiss to my forehead, before hugging the kids. After we said goodbye to some other people, we walked over to the car. Anna walked beside me, to the car. We all got in, a sigh escaping my lips. 

"Do you have everything?" I whispered, looking at Anna. She nods, leaning against the window. I started the car and made my way out of the graveyard. 

--

I watched as the kids played in the water, smiles on their faces. Anna was with them, a smile on her face too. Someone sat down next to me, making me look at them. I lowered my eyes once I saw it was Ryder. I looked back at the kids. 

"I want out, Ryder." 

"Out how? You want out of the mafia? Underground?" 

"Mafia. I want out of it. I want to spend time with my kids. I don't want to have everything to be on me." 

"How do you want to do it? You want to split it up?" 

"I don't know." We sat in silence for a couple of minutes before something comes to mind. "I think we can do 50/50 in the future. You lead half and I can lead the other half. But right now? Right now I need to be there for Anna and the kids, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I can't be there for them if I have a mafia on my back."

"You want me to lead all of it until you're ready and well enough." 

"Yeah." I whispered. 

"Okay. I can lead all of it until you are ready to take your half." I looked at him. 

"Thank you." 

"It's the least I can do, Maeve." I looked at Adaline who was running towards me. She engulfed me in a hug, giggling. She pulled back, a smile on her face. 

"What are you up to?" 

"Come build a sand castle with us, mom."

"I will in a minute. I still have to talk to my friend." She looked at Ryder, before nodding. 

"Okay. One minute. I'm counting." She says, turning away from me. She ran back to her brother and Anna. 

"When is Killian getting here?" 

"Soon. he said he had to take care of something before joining us." Ryder nods, before standing up. 

"I'll see you around, Maeve. Come back whenever you want, okay? I'll give you half in an instant." 

"Thank you Ryder." I whispered, looking at him. He nods. 

"Take care." he whispers, walking away. I looked back at my kids, before standing up. I went and joined them. 

Soon after, Killian joined and we all splashed each other with water. We were all laughing, forgetting the day we had. 

~

Just an FYI, this book is almost over. I think I'm going to write two more chapters and be done with it. 

After I finish this book, I'm going to take a little break from writing. 

*Not Edited*