33- Opening up.

I looked at Axel who had a death grip on the steering wheel.

"I'll be out in an hour. I can take the bus or something considering you fucking took my car keys." I say, annoyed. He looked at me.

"Let's go." He mumbles, getting out of the car. I frowned but got out as well.

We walked into the building and the secretary smiled at me.

"Can go right on in, Maeve. She's waiting for you." I nod, smiling at her.

I walked in while Axel sat down in one of the seats. I grabbed my coloring book and pencils, sitting down in front of the table. I opened the book and started to color.

"I relapsed. Scared the hell out of everybody." I say, after a while. "I don't have custody of my kids anymore. Sucks but hey, it's what I get after I relapse."

"Are you alright?"

"Stupid question."

"You have a lot of things to talk about, Maeve. What do you want to start with first?" I let out a breath.

"I don't know."

"Let's start with the accident, Maeve. What can you tell me about that?"

"What's there to say? We crashed. He's dead. I'm here in therapy after I relapsed."

"Let's get Axel in here, shall we?"

"Why?"

"He asked for it." I let out a breath and continued coloring. I heard the door open and close. Axel sat in one of the chairs, looking at me.

"You color?"

"Helps with opening up." I say, annoyed.

"Maeve, be nice." Emma says, softly. I rolled my eyes. "I'm gonna leave the room so you guys can talk."

I heard the door open and close. Axel was staring at me but I didn't care.

"I was pregnant when we crashed. Twins. A boy and a girl." I say, after a while. "We were getting married. A diamond ring and shit. He worked his ass off to afford one. I told him I didn't want one. Told him we could buy one from a store or something. Like one of those cheap ones. I wasn't picky. He insisted I should get a ring. An expensive one. Emptied out his savings but he wanted me to be happy. I told him he could've used my money. He wasn't one of those people that was only with me for my money. He was with me for me. He loved me for me."

"I'm gonna say this one time, Maeve and one time only." I looked at him, raising an eyebrow. "Are you in sketchy business?" I didn't say anything. "I need to know what kind of business you are in, Maeve. I'm your guardian, I have to know this."

"I am." I whispered. Axel lets out a breath. "Mafia."

"I can get you out, Maeve." I shake my head, frowning. "I can. I can pay a price."

"You can't get the leader out of the mafia, Axel." Shock covered his face. I lowered my eyes and went back to coloring. "You want me out, that's okay. Just let me show up for house visits."

"I'm not kicking you out, Maeve."

"Why? You should. Could endanger your family and shit."

"Do Damien and Angel know?"

"Damien knows. Angel knows some parts of it. She doesn't like it when I share the business." I say, softly. "People don't know about you guys so you guys aren't a target. They don't know about my kids either. You guys aren't targets."

"What would happen if something happened to you?" I looked at him.

"If something happens to me, things are in place. Don't worry about it. Things won't happen anytime soon."

It got silent between us for a minute or two.

"Let's go home, Maeve." I nod and close my color book, standing up. I put it back on the self with the color pencils.

--

I sat in my bedroom, writing in my diary. Damien said it would help. He's doing it too. He wants to try better so he's writing his thoughts out in a diary. He got one for me too. Fucking stupid if you ask me but it helps I guess.

Atticus came in after knocking. I looked at him.

"Let me guess, you heard."

"What?"

"Axel didn't say anything?" I ask, confused. "I-I thought-"

"Maeve, I didn't say anything about anything. It's your business to share." Axel says, passing by my door. I look down in embarrassment.

"I don't know what the fuck your talking about but I do want to talk about something." I raised an eyebrow. "In the kitchen."

"Kitchen?" I ask, confused.

"Kitchen." I slowly stood up and walked down the stairs, following him. We sit down at the dining room table with the other siblings.

"Oh fuck no. If this is some kind of group where I have to talk about my problems, I'm fucking leaving. Or feelings. I don't talk about my feelings."

"We're not talking about that. We want to talk about Killian." Vanessa says, softly.

"Killian?" I ask, confused. "Why are we talking about Killian? Is he dead?"

"He's not dead, Eve. We just want to know what his intentions are." Matt says.

"Intentions? What the fuck are we talking about?"

"Killian likes you Maeve." Angel says, smiling at me.

"Why are you saying that like I didn't know? I know he likes me."

"You know he likes you and you aren't acting on your feelings? Why?" Atticus asks, confused.

"He's a nice guy. I don't want to hurt his feelings." I say, after a while. "He's nice but I don't want to hurt him so I'm not acting on my feelings. I'm, uh, gonna go to bed."

I walked back up the stairs, letting out a deep breath. I didn't want to hurt Killian. I really didn't.