23- Belated Birthday.

"Wanna try mine?" I ask, holding out a spoonful of ice cream. They shake their heads. "I tried yours."

"Well it was a given, mom." Demitri says, with his smart mouth. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Sometimes I think you hate me but then I realize you love me too much." Adaline giggles. I look at her. "Baby girl, you don't want to try momma's ice cream?"

"No." She says, shaking her head. I pout.

"You guys love teaming up against me, don't you?" I ask, confused. They both nod. "Can't wait until you guys are in your teens."

"So rude momma!" Adaline whines. I raised an eyebrow.

"How is that rude?" She shrugs. "Exactly. You just want to team up against me."

We continued eating our ice cream until we left. They grabbed both of my hands.

"What do you guys want to do today?" I ask, curious. They shrug. "Well that isn't very helpful."

"Quand retournons-nous en Italie, maman?" Demitri asks, making me stop walking. I look at him. (When are we going back to Italy, mom?)

"You want to go back? I thought we would stay for a couple more weeks." I say, confused. He shook his head. "Dem, don't you want to celebrate your birthday here?"

"No. I miss home."

"Me too, maman." Adaline says. I look at her.

"Okay. We can go home. You guys want to spend the day with the grandparents?" I ask, curious. They nod. "Okay. We'll leave tomorrow morning."

--

I walk into the house with the kids and dogs. They immediately went upstairs and I smiled.

"Sweet home." I whisper. My phone buzzes, making me look at it. I sigh. I didn't tell Angel goodbye. It'd break her heart if I did. It's like me leaving all over again.

I went into my kitchen and saw dishes in the sink. I tensed up. Nobody was here when we left. I pulled my gun out and slowly checked every room on the first floor. The dogs with me. I slowly go up the stairs, making sure to tuck my gun away from the kids. I went into the playroom where they were at. They looked at me.

"Hey babies." I say, softly. I looked around then back at them.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong." The dogs went over to them and laid down. I looked at them. "Bleibe." They whined. (Stay.)

I left the playroom, pulling my gun out. I checked every room until I got to mine. I slowly pushed open the door and went in. The guy in the room turned around and looked at me. His face lit up.

"Seriously? Breaking into homes now is your thing?" I ask, coldly. I put my gun back into my waistband.

"Hello baby."

"First off, I'm not your baby. Second of all, we're not dating. Third, why the hell are you in my house? More importantly, my fucking room?" I grit out. He smiles at me while I glare at him.

"Well, can't I come see my favorite person?" He asks, curious. I shake my head.

"No. Not when I'm out of town. Plus, your not my favorite person so fuck off, will you?" He shakes his head. "Why not? Your girlfriend kicked you out? Or boyfriend?"

"I'm single, Maeve."

"Oh really? I just thought-"

"Or should I say Ivy." I tensed up.