New Year, New Drama

Alisha

“Happy New Year” I hugged Malaika and Arbaaz as we met outside the park entrance. I knew that they had taken off soon after us too, for their own private moment. They had a shorter time to themselves than Adrian and I had the privilege of, but they seemed to have made the most of it.

“Happy New Year love” Sohail picked me up and swung me from behind, just as the cameras followed. Placing me down, we wished the paparazzi a happy new year, and got the same in return. They maintained their distance and dignity as we got into our cars, and I remembered that Salman was missing. 

“He will see us tomorrow” Sohail smiled at me slyly, and I knew what he meant. Erasing the thought from my mind, I went into the car, Adrian still by my side, holding my hand protectively.

At morning, which was closer to noon, I got up and got ready for the first day of the year. Wearing what was a gymnastics meet shirt with leggings, I kept it simple aside from a broche that my mom left behind for me. Wishing her a happy new year, I wondered if they followed the same system in heaven.

“Hey, we gotta talk.” Adrian shut the door to my room and I knew exactly what he wanted to discuss. Yesterday night. 

“Right. First of all, how is your hand?” I said, as we went into the balcony. It was chilly outside, but it was a good place to sit and talk. Sometimes, you needed to get away from the walls closing in on you.

“It’s good, it doesn’t hurt.” He showed me the bruise and I sighed. My boyfriend was hurt and it was my entire fault. Running his hand through his hair, he didn’t say anything for a while before looking me into my eyes to communicate. 

“Fine, I’ll tell them now.” I rolled my eyes and he smiled just a little, helping me up. We walked out of the room and towards my family’s rooms. Checking with the security, I realized most of them were asleep, except Sohail who was up and had gone for a little work. Just then, I saw Mike with a newspaper walking out of the elevator.

“Mike!” I jogged to him, and he raised his brow looking at me and Adrian alone. He didn’t fancy us being left unsupervised, but by now even he knew we kept it Disney…or similar. Nevertheless, he wouldn’t risk anything. 

“Gotta talk about a little something.” I looked down at my shoes, and he started walking towards his room. Entering it, I found it extremely organised and well maintained, as if the house-cleaning had just worked in here. 

“So, wassup?” he sat at the kitchen counter. 

“Well” I looked at Adrian, who just nodded at me to keep going.

“Yesterday we were just hanging out and stuff, and around one am this dude just jumped at us…”

“Her.” Adrian corrected me and I rolled my eyes,

“Fine, me. And he was all high on something so Adrian kinda knocked him out and we left.”

Mike just sat there looking at me with wide eyes. In reality, it had been scary but when I said it out loud, it was nothing. I had refused to call in security then because everyone was enjoying their night, and Adrian and I were enjoying ours. The man was clearly high, so when he was out we knew there was no danger. But then, Adrian had warned me to tell them as soon as possible, and here we were. 

“You’re telling me ten hours later?” Mike threw his newspaper aside and went to make frantic calls to Sean and Ruth, who would further go to the cops to make an official note and find out if the guy was still there, if he remembered anything and whether he would press charges. I knew the drill, because this happened way too often.