Risks and regrets

Alisha

Waking up the next morning, I saw the first living room filled only with agents and cops. It seemed like my interview could wait, so I rushed to the early morning training. Lauren was already in, stretching as I joined her in. Dimitri was late by perhaps two minutes and we were about to pull his leg when he raised his hand into the air,

"Those cops frisked me like this was the JFK airport." 

I chuckled, knowing that the security was tightened. I could see far less commotion, all the business meetings were gonna be held at the office and the staff that wasn't needed at the vicinity was told not to turn up. They'd be paid, of course, but for a few days it was minimum entry of people around the house. 

School hadn't started yet, but a few assignments were up online. Completing them could give me extra credits, and with the Olympics so close I would be needed them to be able to skip school when necessary. So, after training till 11 am in the morning, I went straight to my room with a mission in my mind. It was crazy with a bodyguard always in my room, but I tried to ignore it and pretend it was a normal day. After all, the last thing I wanted was to get scared and give those bastards the pleasure to see me crumble. 

It was only around 3 pm that some law enforcement employees decided to have a word with me. We went into the library for some silence, and they introduced themselves as senior cops from the crime branch of police. Their faces were familiar to me, but only later did I realize that they were the ones who arrested those people.

"The man who threatened you," a cop pushed his mugshot towards me, "he's still in prison."

"But those are the exact same words. Could you trace the IP address of the device from which it was sent?" I asked and they exchanged glances.

"No, but it could be someone looking for their five minutes of fame." In any other situation, I would have believed them. It did happen often, some people sending threats only to get some kind of a response. But in any usual scenario, it's a post or a message on a social interaction website accessible to all. Rarely does anyone bother to dig deep enough to find personal communication lines, and nobody till date had the brains to hide their IP address. The process was a tricky one, it involved complex computer codes and hacking servers. Someone only looking for fame wouldn't go through the technicality of all. Even the cops understood that, and looked down when I didn't reply back. 

"Our theory is that someone knows about that threat and is trying to take advantage of that." The other cop spoke up after a long time. 

"Nobody but a select few from my family knew" I said.

"We can't ignore the possibility of them slipping it out, or someone overhearing it." 

Well, that was possible. Someone with the intention to harm could use it, and then be able to conceal his or her identity easily. That made me think about whom all were present when I told Salman about the threat that night. 

"It was only Salman, I told him in my bedroom. I remember, I had a nightmare and he was there and...only he knows." The cops nodded, taking notes. 

"Would anyone want to harm you?"

"I do get haters, but nobody in particular, no. There are people who, you know, just send those tweets and messages about hate and killing and stuff." 

The questions went on, and they were awfully generic. Unlike what people had expected, I was oddly calm and ready to cooperate. It was important we got to the bottom of this, because I literally had no time for this when Olympics were only seven months away. 

Just during the interview, a subordinate called one of the main cops aside and whispered something that made the cop blink and look at the phone of his colleague. Oh, all the technology. They were probably using snapchat to capture evidence. The cop just shook his head and said some things back, looking at me impatiently.