Prisoner

Alisha

The dashboard on the car told me it was 6:30 am now. 6:30 am. The sun was up, there were cars in motion and trains running across the tracks and the buses honking their way to their destination. It was 6:30 am when my father pulled into a locality I knew so well, because my previous house wasn't far from here. I smiled in my head. I knew people and I knew the routes and I knew the alley ways better than this man who was sitting by my side. This was an obvious advantage for me, I could get help real quick.

He was drinking, and his steps were already messed up when we got down outside a building. Of course he was renting an apartment in a ridiculously luxurious part of the city, and he was paying people to drive and also, I figured, to make sure I don't run away. The driver was also my new 'bodyguard'. I immediately thought of Mike Tyson, and all the little things they'd tried to teach me. It was like they knew I was bound to be in some distress or the other, and gave me tricks - physical and psychological - to make my chances of survival grow significantly. I wished they were here though, they wouldn't let these people rough me up the way they were now.

I walked into the apartment, behind that man and in front of this new bulky man, Brian. Brian, this man right here, was muscular and intimidating, and I had no idea how to deal with him if I was to run away.

I was going to run. There was no way I would spend any more time than I had to, by force, with this man. I didn't care about what the magistrate thought about my life, and I didn't care about what the lawyers were doing. I needed to get away.

"Home sweet home." that man, the one I was supposed to call my father, whispered into my ear.

"I rented the same place when I ran away with your mother. Oh, she looked hot. Just like you."

I moved away from that man, from his stench and from his voice and from his presence. I stepped back and eventually reached a wall, and I found myself wishing and praying to get absorbed into it, into nothingness, if that's what it meant to get away from him. He just smiled and looked me up and down, again and again, before he made his way towards me again.

"That's your room." he opened a door on the left side of the apartment. I realised I hadn't scanned the place. I looked around the living area. Antique furniture, something my mother would have liked. Huge paintings, and a balcony at the edge. A balcony, one exit.

There was a kitchen and a dining area, and they were modern, and I figured they had knives inside too. Self-defence.

My room was spacious, and it too, had a balcony. But I noticed it was locked, and this wasn't the kind of glass that I would be able to break with the use of a chair. And I noticed how the furniture had been recently screwed into their fixed positions - the little grains of wood and metal on the black marble tile were a quick give away. This man had gone to great lengths to make sure I didn't escape.

Damn, he did know me a little after all.

"Get some sleep. We'll talk in the morning." he closed the door behind me, and he was way too confident leaving me here without any supervision.

Sleep was not in order. I went to the balcony to see what I was working with. It wouldn't open, but I was pretty sure it was a see-through mirror when lights were switched on from the inside of the room. But there was nobody who would spot any kind of message I put up there - the balcony was opposite a huge tree, probably a century old or so, and it obstructed all view. No SOS message would ever work.

I went into the washroom. Nothing there. There was a brush and toothpaste, and there was soap and shampoo and nothing else.

"Fuck this" I kicked the bed and hurt my leg, throbbing. Sitting down on the bed, I wondered what I would do. I was stuck here for God knew how many days. I didn't know if it was hours or days or weeks till we could get this thing fixed. I didn't have a phone or laptop to keep in contact, there was no TV or radio in the house, and there was absolutely to way I could escape from here. I had no clue what I was going to do.