Harbor House

ALISHA

The last day we were here in Cape Town, but the first evening of me being the new World Champion. Just months before, in February, I had earned my place back into the national team. People were skeptical still, I had to fight with everyone to reach here. And now, the gold medals were in my bag. I held it close to my heart.

"Girls, we're here." The assistant coach announced and I looked out the limousine. Yes, the USA gymnastics team was travelling in two limousines tonight, because it was special. The men's team grabbed the silver, we won the gold. I had the individual all- around, and the floor gold, Lauren had the gold on beam and silver on vault- unexpected there. Kayla had the gold in uneven bars and bronze in floor. Basically, we had swiped the championships.

The FIG- Federation of International Gymnastics- held an honorary dinner for all the gymnasts and countries to salute them. Only we understood what it took to be here, to tumble around on a four inch block of wood, to fly through thin air...only we knew. Tonight, everyone around was a winner in their own right.

I looked down at my Herve Leger cocktail dress and straightened the creaseless fabric. I didn't have the red lips tonight, we were all sporting our own unique looks. Red lips had caught the attention during team finals at Worlds, but not now. Yes, the entire team of six was wearing blue, but we all had different styles and shades. Tonight, we were same but different.

"The paparazzi love you." Lauren nudged me from the left. She was one of my best friends, also a gymnast who trained with me under Dimitri- our one hell of a Russian coach and an Olympic gold medalist himself.

"The love to stalk me." I corrected her and got out of the car behind Samantha. Immediately shot by flashes and questions, I shot them a few poses on the red carpet before moving inside. Mike- whom I called Mickey mouse- and Tyson, my bodyguards didn't have to interfere in this case which was honestly a relief. Yes, their names were Mike and Tyson by the way. Get it? Mike Tyson? Anyways, moving on...

Crazy right? Why did I have the paparazzi stalking me and bodyguards when I was only a fourteen year old gymnast? Nastia Liukin never had it, nor did Shawn Johnson. Well they didn't love me for my gymnastics, at least not the tabloids. They loved me because I was the sister; oh scratch that, adopted sister of one of the biggest superstars the world had seen.

I got in to see my family already there, sitting in one of the table on the corner right from the sunset view the place was known for.

My eldest brother, Salman, was one of the most talented and richest actors in the world. He worked in movies throughout Hollywood and Bollywood, because he and I had dual citizenship of USA and India. Yes, we had homes in Mumbai and LA, both places were out motherlands. Salman was also one of the most protective people about me, some also called him possessive. But I knew better- he was protective of me because he couldn't see me hurt, ever.

My second eldest brother, Arbaaz, was sitting right next of him. He was more on the serious side. In fact he was probably the one who maintained the balance between sanity and insanity in my family. He was a gifted actor too, but he looked more into our business, home productions for movies and our charity. He lived with his wife and son, but he was an important part of my life.

Sohail was the youngest of my brothers, and by far the most 'sibling-ish' with me. We bickered all the time, fought throughout. His acting career never really took off, so he got into producing movies and occasionally directing them. He was a playboy himself, but right now in a stable relationship with his girlfriend. Both of them were overprotective of me as well, and trust me it got to my nerves sometimes. Both of them smiled at me and gave me a thumb up, and I returned it.