Holiday Gatherings (Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: It's that time of year again! The time to gather with extended relatives you barely know and endure endless awkward conversations! (Or you could be like me  hiding inside your home with only your cat for company.) Good luck and happy holidays to all!

It was that time of year again. With winter's chill in the air and snow blanketing the ground, the Scouts were forced to postpone their expeditions until spring. As a result, soldiers with families were able to go home for the holidays, while those without wandered around HQ at their leisure.

Levi used to belong to the latter category, but ever since he started dating (f/n) several years ago, he'd been spending holidays with her at her family's house. While he wasn't normally a fan of large gatherings, he wanted to be with (f/n), and he also didn't want to make her choose between him and her family. So, he endured it for her sake.

The first year was rough. On top of the innate awkwardness he felt about spending the holidays with people he didn't know, (f/n)'s family was absolutely thrilled to have Humanity's Strongest Soldier in their house. Everywhere he turned, someone was staring worshipfully at him, or asking to shake his hand, or discussing his kill count with much awe and fanfare. (F/n) tried to control her family as best she could, and Levi could tell she felt terrible about their behavior, though he assured her she needn't worry. He hated all of it, of course, but it wasn't her fault.

(F/n) must've had a talk with her family after that, because during the next holiday season and every season after, they restrained themselves. Absent the hero worship, spending time with them wasn't so bad, in Levi's view. They were nice enough people, and they always welcomed him with open arms. (F/n)'s mother became especially fond of him after he cleaned the house.

"Just look at how pristine everything is! You'll never find a better husband than that," she told (f/n), causing the latter to blush crimson.

Unfortunately, it seemed that single statement opened the gateway for more and more of the same. From that point onward, (f/n)'s relatives made increasingly direct comments about marriage between the two of them. And Levi's discomfort returned in full.

To be clear, he rather liked the idea of spending the rest of his life with (f/n). However, marriage itself seemed meaningless in his mind, because he didn't need a ring or a ceremony to prove her love for him, or his for her. They were already committed to each other, so that was that. Marriage was simply an unnecessary fuss.

(F/n) was accepting of Levi's views. Yet, the rest of the world put a lot of stock in marriage, and (f/n)'s family was no exception. As the years went by, the conversations turned more frequently toward how so-and-so got engaged, which shops sold the best rings, and the joys of married life. Of course, such things were always accompanied by pointed looks at (f/n) and Levi, then disappointed sighs when no nuptials were announced.

When the couple arrived at their fourth holiday season without a proposal, (f/n)'s relatives decided they were tired of waiting.

"So, Levi," her mother began casually while they were all eating dinner at the long table (f/n)'s parents brought out especially for the holidays, "when are you and (f/n) getting married?"

Levi nearly choked on the tea he was sipping. Around him, the table fell into a hush. He could feel nearly a dozen pairs of eyes staring at him out of their corners, watching with the vigilance of a hawk. Although they were trying to pretend otherwise, the entire family was eager to hear his answer.

He set down his cup, then replied carefully, "We haven't made any plans to that effect."

"Well, you'd better get on it!" (f/n)'s grandmother exclaimed. "I'm not getting any younger, and I want to see some great-grandchildren before I die."