Yes, Dad (Levi x Reader)

"Eren, go clean the stables," Levi instructed, intently focused on the smudge he was scrubbing from the windowsill. "And remember to wipe off your shoes afterward. I don't want you tracking in dirt like last time."

"Yes, Dad."

Levi paused, then glanced over his shoulder. Eren, who seemed to have realized his mistake a second after the thoughtless words slipped from his mouth, looked absolutely terrified. His eyes were wide as saucers as they stared at the captain, his hands clutching the broom in a white-knuckled grip.

"I...sir, I'm so sorry!" the teenager sputtered, practically shaking in his boots. "I didn't mean...it just slipped out...I know you're not...that is..."

Levi sighed, wondering what on earth he was going to do with this brat.

------------------------------------------

"Wow," you murmured, working hard to suppress your giggles after Levi told you about Eren's little slip-up.

The two of you were alone in his office, having established a routine of meeting there for tea after training was done for the day. Already, your teacups sat empty on the coffee table in front of you. You and Levi were nestled together on the couch, with his head leaning against your shoulder and your arm wrapped around his waist, supporting him and tucking him close.

Normally, Levi would've never made himself so vulnerable to anyone – physically or emotionally. But once he'd realized he was completely safe with you, he opened up faster than even he himself expected. After decades of suppressing and locking everything down, he was instinctively desperate for someone he could trust – just one person to prove he didn't have to go through this cruel life alone, always hiding the man behind the mask of Humanity's Strongest Soldier.

"So, what did you do?" you asked with a hint of eagerness in your voice. Poor Eren. You would've felt bad for him – if it weren't so funny.

"Tch. Nothing," Levi muttered. "I just dismissed him."

Your brow furrowed at the emptiness in his voice. And then you noticed his eyes, gazing blankly at the floor, as if he were thinking about something. And then there was the slight frown on his lips, as if whatever he was thinking of bothered him.

"Penny for your thoughts?" you murmured, reaching up to gently and comfortingly brush your fingers through his silky hair.

He sighed – the sound faint and pensive. "I just...don't understand why the brat would call me his father, even accidentally," he explained. "Is it because he misses him? I've...never called anyone that, so I wouldn't know."

"I'm sure Eren does miss his father," you confirmed softly. "But it's also common for schoolchildren to accidentally call their teachers 'Mom' or 'Dad' on accident. Maybe this is the same. Maybe it happened because Eren views you as an authority figure who he admires and learns from – like a father, of sorts."

Levi hummed thoughtfully, but said nothing.

Sensing something was still troubling him, you asked, "Did it bother you when Eren called you his dad?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I just...never thought of myself as being a father one day. How could I be? I have no example to follow, and I certainly wouldn't be any good at it. All I do is bark orders at people, and that's it."

"You do so much more than that," you insisted, hugging him a little tighter. "You may not have known your father, but those fatherly instincts are still inside you. I see them all the time. You give great advice, and you're a role model that a lot of the soldiers here look up to. You're protective, and a good teacher. Sure, you're strict, but not unfair. And yes, you do assign people chores – which parents do often. I think it would be...well, not easy, because parenting isn't, but...you'd be well-suited for fatherhood, if you ever wanted that."

Levi was silent for a moment. "I suppose...I never thought of it that way," he mused slowly. "Still...I can't see myself as being an actual father. Aside from this world being a shitty place to bring children into...there's a lot of baggage from my past that just makes things too complicated...I think."

"And that's perfectly fine," you assured him. "Not everyone has to become a parent, and if you decide not to, that's a valid life choice."

He nodded in acknowledgement, snuggling a bit further into you as he did so, his nose nuzzling your collar. You smiled gently at the action, at his desire to be close to you. It always warmed your heart to see him so soft and sweet whenever you two were alone like this.

"So...even though you don't want to be a biological father, do you mind being that kind of role model for Eren and the other younger soldiers?" you wondered. "Like I said, you do a good job of it."

Levi's only response was a huff, sounding slightly annoyed. Nonetheless, you smiled wider, knowing him well enough to see right through the act. You could tell he didn't mind the idea, because in this, he could leave a legacy that wasn't entirely made up of battle and bloodshed. His life had included too much of that already. While part of what he taught the younger soldiers was fighting techniques and tactics, he also had the opportunity to influence them in less-violent ways – with advice and life skills and examples of character, like you'd said.

After a long silence, he muttered, "I suppose it's not too bad."

You giggled softly at that. "No?" you murmured lightheartedly. "Good, then."

The two of you lapsed into silence. You continued to hold him, continued to pet his hair, helping him relax in your arms for the short amount of time he was able to. He would have to get back to work soon – as would you, for that matter. But for now, you both could enjoy this moment of serenity with someone who loved you dearly.