Reading in Bed (Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: Hello, lovelies! Unfortunately, with the convention this weekend, I didn't have time to finish the second version of "Five Love Languages", so it will have to wait until after Christmas. But hey  remember how I mentioned writing all those little blurbs to help myself feel better a while back? I did actually get around to editing them, so here you go! Because they are short, I'll post two tonight. I hope you enjoy them!

You were already curled up in bed with a book in your lap when Levi entered the room. He didn't say anything – just changed into sleepwear and grabbed his own book before climbing into bed beside you. A second later, his arm wrapped around you, tucking you in close.

You loosed a soft breath as you let him guide you, leaning your head on his shoulder, glad for the comforting contact. Side by side, your bodies pressed together, books resting against your curled legs. It was the best thing you could've asked for in that moment.

Levi pressed a kiss to your head before turning his attention to his own book. He knew you needed to decompress a bit after what happened today, so he simply allowed you to lean on him without making a big deal of things. You two had done this enough times that it had become normal – sometimes with you comforting him, sometimes with both of you comforting each other, and sometimes just enjoying your partner's company.

The book-reading was your idea. Before, Levi had hardly slept, and even when he did, it was only for a couple hours at a time. He didn't even bother going to bed, and instead just caught whatever sleep he could in his desk chair before the nightmares came. Yet, after he became close with you, you suggested reading before bed as a way to calm both your minds, giving you two something to focus on besides the horrors outside the Walls. As a side benefit, it also gave you two something to talk about, since you often traded books after reading them.

It had become a sort of ritual for you and Levi to do this every night – except when you were on missions, or when Levi had to accompany Erwin to the interior. It had helped ease Levi's insomnia quite a bit, though it didn't drive away his nightmares completely. But even when one of you was awoken by a nightmare, or was feeling too anxious to sleep, the other was there to provide comfort. Something as simple as sitting together, pressed close, told your bodies on an instinctive level that they were safe.

Even with the calming atmosphere, it always took a while for your minds to quiet, and tonight was no different. You and Levi read for about an hour before you set your books aside and blew out the candles. Then you curled up together under the warm, soft blankets, gently wrapping around each other in an embrace that spoke of the deepest support. And you fell asleep just like that, your lover's presence gifting you with a peaceful and undisturbed rest.