Ride Safe (Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: Happy New Year's Eve, lovelies! I wanted to post this one tonight, since I know a lot of people go out for the holiday and use taxis/rideshares to get around (but Author-chan would recommend staying home this year if you can, because covid). Essentially, this story stems from an unsafe experience I had with a Lyft driver a couple weeks ago. (Remember that convention I went to? It happened on my way home from that.) Thankfully, I was paying attention, and I was able to safely get out of the situation. But I would like to take this opportunity to remind you all of the safety measures you should ALWAYS take whenever you ride with someone you don't know. (And then there will be a story, I promise.)

1) If possible, do not give the app/driver your home address. Pick an address a couple doors down, or in a public place that you can safely walk to your destination from. (Personally, I use the address at the gate to my community, and then I walk from the gate to my apartment.)

2) If you use an app to schedule the ride ahead of time (Uber, Lyft, etc.), make sure the license plate and make/model of the car match the description in the app. Also, ask the driver who they are there to pick up. If they answer incorrectly, or if the car's details don't match the app, DON'T GET INSIDE.

3) Send the car's details to a trusted buddy who is not in the car with you, along with where you are going and what time you expect to get there. Have them check in with you to ensure you made it to your destination safely.

4) If possible, sit in the back seat, diagonally from the driver. If there is any open space behind you, check to make sure no one is hiding back there before the car starts moving.

5) Certain things can make you a more attractive target for predators. They look for people who are alone, intoxicated, not paying attention, not from the area, female, coming from a big event, carrying valuables, etc. Try to minimize appearing like prey as much as you can, and limit the amount of information you share with the driver. Even a seemingly innocent conversation can be used against you.

6) PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS. I cannot stress this one enough, because most of us (myself included) would like to hop on our phones and entertain ourselves until the ride is over. However, you must watch where the driver is going. If you are in an unfamiliar city, ridesharing apps will usually provide exact directions and a GPS tracker to your destination that you can follow on the app.

7) Don't ignore it if the driver is doing something that makes you uncomfortable. This includes taking the wrong route, harassment, strange behavior, unsafe driving, appearing intoxicated, having weapons in the car, etc. You have the right to ask them to let you out of the car in a safe location if you are uncomfortable. You should also call/text a trusted buddy to tell them something shady is happening.

8) Also, do not hesitate to call the police if you feel unsafe. It is better to be overly cautious than dead. Most rideshare apps will have a button in the app that calls the police and shares your location with them. Additionally, having the cops on the phone is a good incentive for the driver to behave.

9) If the driver refuses to let you out in a safe location, or if you are in immediate danger, GET OUT. If they stop the car at a light, get out and run. Even if the car is still moving, check to make sure nothing is going to hit you and then jump out. It is better to take your chances than to stay in the car and go wherever the driver is taking you. Odds are, they are going somewhere no one will ever find you.

10) If you have an uncomfortable experience but still arrive at your destination, report it to Uber/Lyft and the police. The police might not be able to do anything, but it is good for them to have a record on file, and the rideshare app can definitely take action against the driver. Additionally, if you have security in your neighborhood, you should report it to them, so they know to watch out in case the driver tries to come back. You should also keep an eye out yourself to ensure the car or the driver aren't hanging around your home.