Running Interference (Levi x Reader)

"Well, Captain, how about you and I find a room upstairs?"

"Tch. I'm not interested."

"Now, don't be like that. After all, I donate a lot of my money to the Scout Regiment. It'd be nice if you could make it worth my while."

"I...I don't –"

"Captain!" a familiar voice chimed, and Levi nearly sighed in relief.

A second later, (f/n) was standing at his side, glittering in her formal attire, holding a champagne flute in one hand. A glowing smile graced her features, as if nothing were amiss. "There you are!" she continued. "Commander Erwin has been looking all over for you!"

Then she turned to the nobleman who had previously been backing Levi into the wall and whispered conspiratorially, "Super-confidential military business. You know how it is. Anyway, gotta run!"

With that, she looped her arm through Levi's, and he was all too happy to follow as she quickly hauled him away.

"You alright?" (f/n) murmured once they were out of earshot.

"Yeah," he uttered, shaking off the sickening sensation that had been churning in his stomach since the nobleman first grinned at him with lustful intent. "Thanks for getting me out of there. Again."

"Anytime."

Because of his celebrity status, Levi was often on the receiving end of romantic advances by nobles or rich merchants. It happened inevitably whenever Erwin dragged him to a party or state function. At least one prissy scumbag tried to coerce him into sleeping with them, just so they could brag about all the things they did with Humanity's Strongest.

Under normal circumstances, Levi would have no qualms about refusing them as rudely as possible. However, because many of these people donated to the Scouts, he couldn't risk offending them. Yet, given his lack of social grace, he had trouble refusing them tactfully, and this often left him in a bind.

Thankfully, (f/n) was always looking out for him. Not only was she a trusted comrade, but she was also his loyal friend, and she wasn't about to let anyone force him into an uncomfortable situation. Whenever Levi found himself backed into a corner, she was suddenly there, making up excuses to extract him without offending anyone.

Levi did the same for her, because even though society didn't consider her a celebrity, she was incredibly alluring. Nobles and merchants practically tripped over themselves for a chance with her, employing the same coercive methods they used on Levi. After all, as a squad leader, (f/n) was beholden to the Scouts just as much as he was.

He'd lost count of the number of times they'd saved each other from leches of all ages and genders. Yet, there was always another rich merchant trying to back them into a darkened alcove, always another noblewoman getting handsy during a dance. Even Levi, with his criminal past, was having trouble comprehending how an entire class of people could be so vile. Perhaps it was the inflated sense of entitlement. Their money bought them so much already that they didn't understand the concept of something they couldn't have.

"Looks like we're in the clear," (f/n) murmured, checking over her shoulder before slipping her arm from his.

Levi sensed an involuntary disappointment as her warm touch left him, like an ache in his chest. This had been happening a lot in recent weeks, but he couldn't understand why. Up until this point, her support had simply been one more reason why Levi appreciated her, why he considered her such a good friend. However, lately, he felt a sense of emptiness whenever she gently pulled back, like something vital had been taken away.

For now, he simply continued to walk at her side, trying to ignore the uncomfortable cold where her arm had been wrapped around his.

------------------------------------------