The Cure for Insomnia (Insomniac Levi x Reader)

"Here you go," you murmured, setting the steaming teacup in front of Levi before sitting down on the opposite side of his desk with your own cup. You watched him as he grunted his thanks and took a sip, trying to think of the most delicate way to phrase your concern. "Hey...is everything alright? Are you good?"

He clicked his tongue, his steely gaze flicking to yours, betraying nothing. "Why wouldn't I be?"

You looked back at him, seeing not only the exhaustion in his eyes, but the dark circles underneath – darker than usual. His tone was also a bit sharper than what he'd normally take with you, given your close friendship. On top of that, you'd noticed he hadn't been doing as well in training lately – still amazing when compared to anyone else, but when compared to his normal performance, he was slipping. Something was wrong.

"I've noticed you've been a bit...off, lately," you replied carefully, knowing if you pushed too hard, he'd shut you out completely. Levi built walls around anything that could possibly be perceived as weakness – emotions, injuries, personal problems – and even his closest friends had difficulty getting past them. But you didn't blame him for it. He'd been hurt too much already.

Levi's eyes flicked to his tea, and he took a long sip, biding his time before answering. "I...haven't been sleeping much. Less than usual, anyway," he admitted.

"Do you have too much work?" you asked, your brow furrowing with concern. "I'm sure Erwin would –"

"It's not that," he interrupted, still not looking at you. "I have enough time, and I try to sleep, but..." He sighed, closing his eyes. "It's frustrating. Even though I'm exhausted, I can't make myself go to sleep. And when I finally manage it, I..."

He trailed off and pursed his lips. He seemed to be debating with himself, as if he couldn't decide whether he should tell you what he'd been about to say. You waited patiently, giving him a chance to think.

At last, he continued in a quiet tone, "I have nightmares. So even if I do manage to fall asleep, it's not for long."

Your heart ached for him. "Do you want to talk about them?" you asked gently.

He pursed his lips again. "I don't really...talk about them," he murmured haltingly. "Never even told anyone I have them, actually."

That one statement made it clear just how much trust he was placing in you, even if he didn't say so outright. And although you hated that he had to go through this, the fact that he was willing to open up to you, even a little, warmed your heart. "That's okay," you assured him. "Maybe instead, we can try to find something that will help you fall asleep. I've had insomnia on and off for years, so I've picked up a few tricks. You know, breathing techniques, scented candles, essential oils. Things like that."

"I don't know..." Levi muttered, his brow furrowing while he thought it over. "I've never been much for that sort of thing, but...if you think they're good...I guess I could try."

"Great!" you chimed, glad he was allowing you to help. You took one last gulp of your tea before setting your empty cup down and standing up. "I'll go get a few things for you. Be right back."

"Wait," Levi called, stopping you as you stepped toward the door. When you looked back at him, he muttered, "I don't want to take your stuff. I know it's expensive –"

"Don't worry about it," you insisted, waving him off. "It's not that expensive. Besides, what are friends for?"

He held your gaze, and you wondered if he might try to argue further. But after a moment, he leaned back in his chair, giving in. "Fine," he grumbled. "But just a little bit. Alright?"