Frail (Levi x Hospitalized Reader)

Everyone wondered why Humanity's Strongest Soldier visited the civilian hospital in town so frequently. Did he have a sick relative? Was he courting one of the nurses?

The hospital staff never discussed it with outsiders for patient confidentiality reasons, but they certainly talked amongst themselves. In their view, the idea of Humanity's Strongest being in love with such a frail woman seemed rather odd. And so, very sad.

He always came on the same day every week, arriving with a gorgeous bouquet of flowers right as visiting hours began. Today was no different. He gave a brief nod to the nurse at the front desk as he passed, and she nodded back – thinking he must be a good man, to love an ailing woman so faithfully.

Your door was standing open for him, but he still knocked before entering. You looked up from the book you'd been reading while sitting upright in your hospital bed, your lower half tucked beneath the crisp white sheets. You'd been expecting him – he always arrived on the same day, at the same time, ever punctual – but even so, your eyes lit up when you saw Levi's face, and your lips spread into a bright grin.

"Hi," you murmured.

"Hey," he replied, his lips quirking into the tiniest smile while his eyes regarded you softly. He crossed short distance between your door and your bedside, leaning down to give you a tender kiss.

You always marveled at how sweet he was with you. You'd heard the rumors about Humanity's Strongest being cold and harsh, but from your experience, nothing could be further from the truth. Of course, you knew Levi had to hide his big heart from the world, had to remain stoic and unwavering, because that was the only way to survive and lead his comrades through countless battles with the monsters outside. But in here, when it was just the two of you, Levi was always soft.

He may not have been the most tactful romantic, but he didn't need to be. You could always tell his feelings by his actions and gentle gestures. Besides, you didn't require grand, eloquent proclamations – you loved the Levi that blushed and stuttered and sometimes had trouble putting his emotions into words. His shyness felt both earnest and honest, and you appreciated his willingness to be vulnerable with you, to let you see a side of him that no one else ever would, because he loved you that much.

"Those flowers are beautiful," you told him, nodding toward the large bouquet in his hand. "Roses, right?"

"Yeah," he replied as he handed them over, averting his eyes slightly while a soft blush tinted his cheeks. "This was the first day I've seen them in the market this year. The shopkeeper said they just came into season."

You took the bouquet and brought the vibrant flowers close to your nose, your grin widening as you inhaled their pleasant aroma. Everything inside the hospital always smelled so chemically sterile, or else stuffy, so you appreciated Levi's weekly gift of something from nature, even if the flowers didn't last too long after being picked. For the several days they endured, they reminded you of the world outside these white walls, of life, and of Levi's love for you.

Once you'd gotten your fill, you handed the bouquet back to him, and he laid it on your side table, knowing one of the nurses would arrange the flowers in a vase for you later. "The weather looks nice today," you commented, having seen the sun shining outside your window.

"It's not bad," Levi confirmed. "Temperature's warming up a bit, too. I didn't even have to use the blanket on my horse when I put him in the stable."

"Do you think we could go for a walk?" you asked hopefully, always eager to get outside your room.

Levi's lips pursed, his eyes scanning your face. You knew he was checking for signs of how you were faring today, assessing whether you could handle going outside or not. "Do you feel up to it?" he questioned delicately.