Embarrassment (Levi x Reader)

"Of all days to be running late..." you muttered to yourself as you hastily checked your watch. Once you read the time, you heaved a sigh, then continued walking right past the mess hall. "Guess I'll have to skip lunch today..."

This afternoon, the four military regiments – the Scouts, the MP's, the Garrison, and the Trainee Corps – had scheduled joint training exercises with each other. A handful of squads from each regiment had been chosen to participate, including the Levi Squad, of which you were a part. Then again, if you embarrassed your captain and your regiment by showing up late, you doubted you would be part of the elite squad for much longer.

You picked up the pace, jogging the rest of the way to the training grounds. The weather was abnormally hot, even for summer, and you felt sweat prick your skin almost immediately after setting foot outside. Inwardly, you marveled at your bad luck for having to do joint training in such unforgiving heat. If you'd only been with the Scouts, Captain Levi probably would've allowed you to remove your jacket. But for appearances' sake, your full uniform was required in front of the other regiments.

You reached the training grounds on time – though just barely. Your captain raised an eyebrow when you ran up to him and saluted, but otherwise didn't comment on your near-tardiness. Instead, he merely ordered your squad to form up, and shortly thereafter, the exercises commenced.

The first exercise went smoothly – as did the second, and the third. Naturally, the Levi Squad performed well above the others, earning impressed looks from the Garrison and Trainees, and open glares from the MP's. Oluo, of course, loved the attention, but the rest of you just wanted to do your best and then get out of this wretched heat.

You were covered in sweat by the time the fourth exercise began, but since everyone else was also drenched, you didn't worry too much about it. At any rate, there were only two more exercises after this one. You were already over halfway done. You could make it.

Your squad breezed through the training forest, effortlessly defeating training dummy after training dummy. In fact, the most difficult part was slowing down for the other squads, who were working hard to keep up. Or at least, everyone but the MP's was working hard.

"Three titans ahead!" Eld announced as you zipped through the trees in perfect formation.

"Eld, (f/n), take the one in the middle!" your captain ordered. "The rest of you, take the one on the right! The one on the left is mine!"

You locked eyes with Eld, silently communicating with the briefest of gestures. Then, at the same time, he went for the legs, while you went for the nape. Your blades sliced the mock flesh like it was nothing – a perfect cut. Yet, you didn't stop to celebrate. You still had half a course to get through, so as soon as you confirmed the kill, you leapt into the air again.

That was when your body became light. Too light. And too hot.

Oh.

You immediately landed on a large branch, stumbling a bit when your wobbly legs couldn't hold you. Your vision had begun to darken around the edges, quickly closing inward. Knowing what was coming, you sat down – your gear still lodged in the tree to provide an anchor in case you fell. And there, nearly curled into a ball with your forehead bent toward your knees, you tried to focus on breathing...in...and out...

Seconds later, Captain Levi was the first to reach you.

"Oi, are you alright?" he barked as he landed on the branch.

"Yeah..." you answered vaguely, lifting your head a bit in an attempt to appear less distressed. At the very least, sitting down had cleared your vision, and you could see again – though you still weren't sure if you could stand. However, you couldn't allow yourself to look weak. Not in front of the other regiments.