Vulnerable (Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: Hello, lovelies! Just wanted to let you know this story contains some unwanted touching, in case that triggers anything bad for you. (If so, you can just skip the first part.) Hope you enjoy!

Levi stood outside, in the vast, moonlit garden of the nobleman who was throwing this excessive party. He'd always hated such things, but he went anyway, because Erwin asked him to, because showing his face tended to make these rich gawkers donate to the Scouts. However, he'd been hiding himself out here for a while now.

He needed time away, time to think, time to process. Yet, as the minutes turned into an hour, he hadn't come any closer to understanding himself – why he'd done what he had. Especially when it was the exact opposite of what he'd wanted.

The section commanders had also come to this ridiculous affair, including the person he'd been secretly in love with for quite some time. She was already one of his best friends – one of his only friends – but he hadn't worked up the courage to tell her how he felt, for so many reasons. And tonight, when she'd casually asked him to dance for the first time, instead of accepting like he so eagerly wanted to, he'd rejected her rather rudely.

Then he'd walked away, and kept walking, until he found himself out here.

It didn't make any sense. He'd danced with scores of vain, airheaded women on Erwin's orders, even though he would've rather eaten his own boots. Yet, when the one person he actually want to dance with had asked, he'd refused.

Why?

The answer was rather obvious, though he hadn't let himself get there yet, hadn't accepted it.

He was terrified.

He was terrified of so many things. Terrified he'd let something slip. Terrified she'd figure him out. Terrified she'd reject him. Terrified she wouldn't. Terrified she'd die.

"Ah, there you are!"

Levi's eyes flicked to the man who'd interrupted his thoughts, strolling down the hedge-lined path toward him. Erwin had pointed him out at the party earlier, identified him as the head of the merchant guild – as well as the richest man in the Walls, aside from the king. He looked perhaps to be in his early fifties, slightly balding, with an imposing figure that was not quite fat but not skinny either. And of course, he was dressed in a very expensive-looking suit.

"Out for a breath of fresh air, eh?" the man – Arnold Kaiser, Levi recalled – commented as he stopped next to Levi.

The captain grunted noncommittally, his eyes studying a bush of pink flowers on the other side of the path, hoping Kaiser would take the hint and leave.

Unfortunately, it seemed he wasn't that lucky. "I understand," Kaiser continued pleasantly. "You've probably got a lot on your mind – with the Scout Regiment's funds running out. I was thinking of making a donation, myself."

That piqued Levi's interest, though he didn't show it, instead continuing to stare at those pink flowers. He knew Erwin had been trying to get this guy to donate for a while now, needing the money to fund the expedition he was already planning. However, thus far, the blond had been unsuccessful.

Levi muttered, "If you want to talk about making a donation, you should go find Commander Erwin. He handles that stuff."

"Oh, I've already spoken to Erwin," Kaiser replied. "But before I make my donation, I'd like something in return. I scratch your back, you scratch mine, as it were."

"Really?" Levi scoffed, unable to contain himself as his gaze shot to Kaiser's face. "Protecting you from titans isn't enough?"

Kaiser appeared unfazed by Levi's prickliness, his expression remaining perfectly calm and polite. Yet, Levi didn't like the glint in his eyes. "There's something else I'd like," he stated, stepping so close that Levi had to fight the urge to step backward. "I want you – for a night."