Bad Day (Levi x Anxious Reader)

There were good days and bad days.

The good days were, for you, what everyone else might consider a normal day.

The bad days were, at best, unstable – at worst, terrifying and debilitating.

Sometimes, there wasn't even a specific reason for it. You'd just wake up with inexplicable apprehension buzzing beneath your skin. Then you'd spend the whole day teetering on the edge, where even the smallest setback could be catastrophic.

Today was a bad day.

You were trying to get through it on your own, trying to pretend like everything was fine, trying to prevent yourself from shattering. But no matter how many deep breaths you took, no matter how many times you told your brain to think about something else, you couldn't do it. Not today. Not on your own.

You thought about going to Levi. Somehow, just being near him always helped you calm down, always helped you feel safe, no matter what else was happening. But you hesitated – not wanting to bother him with your anxiety, again, when he had so much on his plate already. While he'd previously claimed that you weren't a nuisance, you figured at some point, he'd have to get tired of repeating the exact same reassurances to soothe the exact same issues, over and over. Anyone would.

Yet, no matter how hard you tried to deal with it by yourself, you reached the point where you'd either have to go to Levi, or go back to your bedroom and have a nervous breakdown.

With your arms wrapped around your torso, you shuffled your way to Levi's office. He called for you to enter when you knocked, so you slipped inside and quietly shut the door, keeping your eyes on the ground. Your hands clasped behind your back, fingers clenching nervously.

The sound of his pen scribbling across the page stopped. "Oi," Levi grunted, trying to get you to look at him.

You couldn't.

Levi was silent for a moment, assessing you. Then his pen clinked softly against the desk as he set it aside. "Bad day?" he murmured knowingly.

Ashamed, you gave a small nod, keeping your eyes on the ground.

You heard his chair creak as he stood, then the quiet pad of his shoes on the floor while he made his way to you. His footsteps stopped when the brown tips of his boots entered your vision, and a second later, his fingertips gently touched your chin, coaxing you to look up. "Hey, it's alright now," he stated – in the soft tone reserved only for you.

You still couldn't bring yourself to look at him, but you did lean forward, allowing him to wrap you in the hug you'd known he'd give, because he always did. And as much as you didn't want to bother him, you needed that hug desperately. You needed to feel his strong muscles wrapped around you, holding you together and protecting you from the world.

Levi held you quietly for several minutes, occasionally brushing his fingertips along your spine, trying to soothe you in whatever small way he could. Eventually, he murmured, "You wanna talk about it?"

No, you didn't. You didn't know how. Instead, you opened your mouth to croak, "I'm sorry."

"Hey," he breathed, pulling back just enough to see your face – but you still wouldn't meet his eyes. "What are you sorry for, huh?" he asked while he thumbed your chin in an attempt to coax your gaze from the floor.

You swallowed. Shrugged. "I just...don't want to be a bother. And I interrupted your work –"

"That's nothing," he assured you, gently but firmly as he tilted his head underneath yours, trying to find your gaze. "You matter so much more to me than some stupid paperwork. Burn it all. I don't care."