1 - One month

I stared at the stars above me as I stood on my balcony

I stared at the stars above me as I stood on my balcony. The evening breeze tickled my bare chest. I didn't cry. I had no tears left.

One month.

Thirty days.

720 hours.

I was a wreck even though I had promised myself I'd try to walk past it. Who was I kidding? The most I could spend outside of my room was a few hours, maybe a bit more than that if I was lucky.

Everywhere I looked, she was there. In my room, in front of me, behind me, in my dreams, fucking everywhere. I didn't even let myself look through my phone. I shattered it two days after she died. After she was murdered. Never got a new one but the photos were still saved on the cloud. They would be there. And I was almost desperate to look through them.

The only thing that kept me going was the promise I'd given her. Not that I wanted to willingly. But I knew where I was destined to go after death. I wasn't going to risk her beating me up to death. Not that it wouldn't make me the happiest man in the underworld.

That somehow brought a smile to my face.

I haven't heard from the Rossi since the funeral. I didn't attend. I didn't want to see her colourless face and her closed eyes which would break me possibly more than seeing her barely holding on in my lap.

I haven't even tried to ask anyone about what her family was up to.

My attention was given to finding Luca.

He vanished. Vanished like any bit of hope I had leftover in my life.

"Tough night?" I flinched before I turned around and saw Audrey leaning against the balcony door with her arms crossed over her chest.

"I told you to not sneak up on me like that." She gave me a faint smile before walking over to me. I turned back around. She stood right next to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. Strangely comforting gesture.

"What's bothering you apart from the obvious?" I sighed as I looked down and squinted my eyes.

"Him. Besides all of that, Francesco has been acting strange and I can't help but wonder if I should reach out to them." She took her hand off my shoulder.

"I've been trying to tell you to visit them." I shook my head. "Liam, Margo is coming here tomorrow. Actually," I pinched my brows together. "In about seven hours-"

"Hold on." I turned my head to look at her. "And you've known that for how long?"

"I found out yesterday from Alex." I chuckled, before mentally cursing him out. He was now romantically involved with Margo but I didn't mind. Trust me, it meant the world to me that he was happy. But I was his best friend and he should've told me. "He told me she wanted to speak to you. Aldo is coming with her."

"What else do you know about them?"

"Nothing. They haven't done anything in the past month concerning their business or any deals." I frowned. Even though it has been the worst possible month of my entire life, I tried not to let it show amongst the fellow mafias.