41 - Lost in thought

I walked out of the bathroom in the middle of the night, rubbing one of my eyes

I walked out of the bathroom in the middle of the night, rubbing one of my eyes. Celeste slept peacefully on her side of the bed and once I climbed in beside her, she frowned before moving her arms around until they reached my bare chest.

I pulled her to me as I pulled the duvet over my lower half. She mumbled something under her breath as she got comfortable right beside me. I folded my arm behind my head as my other hand caressed her arm.

She told me before bed that once I was in Ney York, she'd abort the child once and for all. And as much as I wanted to see her as a mother, this was the shittiest time for them to be born. She scheduled the appointment at the clinic where Laura worked so her identity could be kept a secret.

Even more so, I didn't want my father or Luca to find any of this out. This would put her and the child (if she had decided to keep it) at a huge risk and I wasn't going to sit there and let it happen. After everything cooled off, we'd have all of the time in the world to raise a child.

And apart from the previously mentioned reasons, we were also young. Far too young to care about kids as the bosses of two powerful mafia families. Which might as well become one in the future.

It was quite overwhelming just thinking about everything that has happened the past week. And there was so much more to come in order to finally be able to live freely.

Ever since Beatrice came into my room on the plane, I couldn't stop thinking about her biological father. It boggled me that I couldn't wrap my head around something very similar to her facial features. It was so faint but just enough to haunt me in my dreams.

I hadn't brought my concerns or even speculations up to my girl because of how much was on her mind. And after I learned what she had gone through, made me well aware she was in no place to bear my problems. She had more than enough of her own to deal with.

The entire thing with Valentina and Luca was supposed to be her priority. And as far as she said, she'd start to heavily plot the mission once I was gone.

I don't want any distractions.

I smiled at the memory of her words. I was a distraction to her. Someone that took her attention away from a task. I was her distraction just as much if not more like she was to me.

Even after the night, everything was her. Everything said was about her. My dreams, hell nightmares were all about her. Any time her name was brought up, my entire day went into shambles. And after she found me, I couldn't succeed with my promise to her to keep her well-being a secret.

I guess she should've known I wouldn't be much of an actor.

She moved against me, making me break my stare at the ceiling. I glanced at her as she tipped her head up and looked around the room as if she had no clue where she was.

"It's alright, my love," I said in a low voice, trying to calm her down. Maybe she was dreaming of something rather unpleasant and I didn't feel her stress as I got lost in my own mind.