21 - One day

Half an hour ago

Half an hour ago

I don't think I've ever been more confused than right now. I looked over at Alex to see if I had been seeing clearly.

"She..."

"Kissed him," he finished for me. He looked at me and then grabbed my hand to lead me to the dance floor. I handed Laura the drink. She smiled at me before looking over at Egon who took the two glasses out of her hands and placed them on a table behind him, which frankly wasn't just a regular table. I bet it was one of those million-year-old relics from the caves of the first humans.

Alex dragged me onto the dance floor as Egon did the same with Laura. Egon had been right, men really did drool over her. But he was the one to encourage her to wear the dress that was slightly too small for her in the breast department.

I placed one of my hands on Alex's shoulder and let him sway me to the music. He looked at me, his eyes soft and lips curled into a smile.

"What are you thinking about?" He placed a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you," I smiled before pressing my head against his chest. He placed a kiss on my head.

"I love you, Alex." His whole body relaxed as we danced. I pulled my head away from his chest a good five minutes later before he twirled me and then pulled me back to his chest.

In the corner of my eye, I saw my mother who wore a beautiful dark blue lace gown and had her dark hair put in a low bun hairstyle with braids. She whispered something in my father's ears as she stared at Alex and me. My dad's eyes looked over at me and he smiled. One of the most genuine smiles I'd ever seen.

He gave me a nod before he looked back at Dante and they continued talking. I glanced back at Alex who was already looking at me.

"How come you've never talked about your parents?" My question was certainly a mood-killer for him. His smile dropped instantly but instead of running away from me he just sighed.

"I don't have a good relationship with them. And trust me, you don't want to meet them." I frowned as we moved around the dance floor.

"Tell me about it if it's not much to ask for."

"They were abusive. That's as much as you should know." My heart stung. That was probably the worst thing he has ever told me about himself. I moved my hand off his shoulder and placed it on the side of his face. He leaned into my hand as his expression softened. I caressed his cheek as I looked at him.

"I love you. And I'm sorry I brought it up. Now, we can just move on from it," he smiled before nodding.

————