42 - Resurfaced

The moment that the car stopped at the estate, Audrey jumped through the door

The moment that the car stopped at the estate, Audrey jumped through the door. This was eating her up as much as it did to me but to know that the father you once knew and held to a much higher standard turned out to be just as cruel and ruthless as everyone said him to be, definitely broke her to pieces. Everything she once knew about him was proved to be a lie.

I grabbed her elbow to stop her and pulled her back to me. "Let go of me!" She whined as she tried to peel my hand off her.

"Calm down."

"My damn mother is in there, you psychopath," I pulled her to me, earning a look from her.

"She's my mother too if you've forgotten. Calm down before I lock you in the fucking car." I let go of her before I walked right past her and walked up the stairs. As I did so, I grabbed the gun I kept tucked in the back of my pants and turned the safety off. I was not about to take any chances.

The doors opened before I was able to step into the foyer and I stopped in my tracks as I listened carefully to what was happening in my surroundings.

Nothing.

Complete and utter silence.

"What-" I took my hand out, silencing Alex as I looked around the place.

The place I once called my home looked absolutely nothing like it. Million-dollar paintings were ripped, and the silver frames were broken. There was soil spilt around the room from the potted plants that were overturned. One of the massive stone sculptures was smashed and thrown onto the ground. The massive chandelier that hung down onto the foyer had most of its glass shattered.

"Holy fuck," Audrey muttered under her breath as she took some steps forward, looking around the place.

"He didn't hold back, did he?" Alex muttered as he followed Audrey's lead. I looked towards the top of the stairs. There wasn't a single living would around. That was what concerned me.

Silence never meant good. At least not in terms of crime and mafia.

I stepped on the first stairs and that's when I first heard something. I looked at Alex and Audrey who were going up the opposite stairs. Alex frowned as Audrey stood frozen. Alex took out his gun as I aimed mine while going up the stairs.

Once I reached the top, I looked towards the east wing and my body stilled. There were three dead bodies right by one of the bedrooms. Three dead security guards with a puddle of blood surrounding them.

Alex frowned when he saw my face but cursed once his eyes followed the same trail as mine did. Audrey gasped and latched onto the railing to not fall over.

"He's done some things," I said, moving towards my wing. "We should part. Once we see him, shoot," Alex handed Audrey his spare gun before he walked further into the east wing. My sister stood still, looking between me and Alex's moving body. I caught her eyes and motioned for her to go west.