9 - The killer

Thick clouds covered the sky, shielding us from any sunlight

Thick clouds covered the sky, shielding us from any sunlight. Some dark spots on the clouds indicated it would rain even slightly any time now and I patiently waited for the droplets of water to fall.

My office was on the second floor, a few rooms away from my bedroom. As much as I loved my old place in the north wing, this room brought me something that one couldn't - silence.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my job as the head of the Cosa Nostra but it was too much to handle. Maybe that was why I was hesitant to give Celeste the throne. Not because of stereotypes but because of how weak she was emotionally from all of the abuse. I didn't want the constant responsibility of her empire on her shoulders and thought of putting it off.

I'm glad I stopped her from Elijah's hand in marriage but look where I was at now.

My daughter died.

My entire heart shattered.

My world crumbled.

I sighed as the first drops of water touched the window. I haven't cried in a few weeks now but it was a matter of time before I'd break. Bottling up my feelings was the only way I knew how to deal with emotions. And certainly not a way that made others happy.

I remember the night like it was yesterday. I wasn't there to see it happen but when the news got out, time stopped. I actually thought I was dreaming or more so, having a damn nightmare. Giorgia's screams were the first thing that brought me back to the present time back then. I couldn't believe it to the point that I laughed and asked Martin, my right-hand man and second cousin if he was trying to fool me. He slapped me and tried to bring me back from the awful state of shock. My hands trembled, my mouth dried and my heart raced.

My heart raced, adrenalin starting to flow around my entire body, pushing me to kill Luca and Vlad. And I drove there. I tried to find any one of them. I spent hours upon hours looking for them but by the time I got back to the estate, Martin had informed me they had both fled Rome and gone back into hiding.

But above that, I never got to see her. None of us saw her body and it irks me to know she's still with them.

Well, one of them. And Vlad would've been the better option out of the two. I didn't want Luca around her closer than a radius of the fucking Universe. But someone did one job for me.

Just as I began to imagine the brutal ways of torture for Luca and his minions, my phone buzzed on the top of my dark, oak wood desk. I turned around in the chair and picked it up before bringing it closer to me and reading the notification.

Lorenzo: ACCENDI LE NOTIZIE DEL CAZZO! [turn on the fucking news!]

I quickly grabbed the TV remote out of my desk drawer and aimed it at the TV on the right-hand side of the office. The screen turned on and a breaking news segment flashed on it. My eyes widened.