2 - A girl from the past

"How are things back in Rome?" The question surprised me slightly

"How are things back in Rome?" The question surprised me slightly. I wasn't expecting it after he so expressively showed his frustration over this fucked up situation.

Why Dante had called Francesco, I had no clue. And frankly, I wasn't too keen on knowing.

Day after day, week after week, I've been putting my attention on finding Luca or any trace of what was left of him.

What had happened that night was horrid. I had nightmares of that moment to this day and I'm sure Liam did too by the looks of his well-being.

"Rome is..." The struggle of finding the words to express what was happening there was real.

Rome is terrible.

Everything there is hanging on by a thread.

No one sleeps and barely leaves the house.

"As well as it can be," Aldo finished for me.

Aldo was now the head of the family. As much as he hated it, as much as he wanted to rip his head off every moment of the day, he understood why he was doing this. He wasn't of age yet but it didn't mean we had another choice. Dante didn't want to put that title on his back but agreed to assist Aldo with every decision. He even took most of the work into his hands. It definitely eased up the situation for Aldo.

"I need you to be more specific." I sighed before I leaned back on my chair and crossed my arms over my chest.

"No one sleeps anymore, the house feels haunted, empty, cold. Dante hasn't been himself since he found out. I'm not even going to talk about what Giorgia is going through. Laura is barely hanging on, Lorenzo moved into the estate with his man for an undetermined amount of time. I don't even think you need more. You probably get the idea." He stayed silent just as I expected. "What's been going on here?"

"I think I can answer that," Alex spoke as he straightened up in the chair. It still baffled me that we started dating. One of the only things that gave me an atom of happiness.

But an atom was far from enough to make me happy.

"Liam hasn't been working much, Everyone else is quiet. Work-wise we haven't made much progress since the night," the night. No one spoke about it since it happened. To this day, I can't believe what happened after she passed. "But we're getting back slowly." I nodded. Silence took over the room.

I watched as Liam paced around the room, his hands in his pockets and eyes on the ground. That one night changed everything.

"What do we do now?" Aldo broke the silence. I shrugged.

"We have to get back to Rome. This visit was never supposed to be very long but I'm afraid we can't lose time when we're trying to find her," I answered. "Lorenzo doesn't leave his room. His eyes are buried in his computer to find anything." Liam lifted his eyes up to me as he stopped walking and went over to the table.