14 - Invitation

I walked out of my bedroom with Alex right behind me

I walked out of my bedroom with Alex right behind me. I walked down the stairs as I checked my phone and saw an unknown missed call. I frowned before looking upwards and walking towards the living room.

"Everything alright?" Alex said as his hand touched my shoulder. I nodded before pressing the call button. I brought my phone up to my ear and waited for the beeping to eventually stop but it never did. I stopped in my tracks, moving the phone away from my ear. "What?" Alex looked back at me before I turned the phone off and moved forward.

"Nothing," I stepped into the meeting room and was immediately met with a projector screen and a laptop at the end of the table. Alex and I walked over to it before sitting down in front of it. I looked through the contacts and video-called Dante and Aldo as the guard closed the door. I leaned back in the chair as we waited for the call to connect.

Dante, to my surprise, was the one to initiate the call. I didn't complain since it's been a good week since we talked.

The image of Dante with Aldo right beside him popped up, making me smile.

"Liam and Alex, so nice you could join," I gave him a nod as Alex smiled.

"I'm assuming there's something you have to tell us?" I asked, knowing that no matter how much he might have loved to talk about life, he didn't arrange meetings for chit-chats.

"Indeed. Last week Aldo met up with Gabriele. The don of the De Niros." I nodded, already familiar with the information. "We signed a deal which means we are going to open a brand new chain of clubs in Europe," I crossed my arms over my chest. "It was an easy decision but Margo suggested you could invest in it yourself. That would be the Martinelli interfering in a way but as far as I'm concerned, Francesco has no more desire to run the mafia." I smiled weakly.

"That's the problem." Aldo frowned. "As much as I'd love to take this step and build a stronger connection with the Cosa Nostra, I don't think now's the time. Francesco blew up earlier today and because of the argument, I doubt he'll want to stop anytime soon."

"Blew-up?" Aldo questioned. Maybe it was a common occurrence in our household but this severe? Haven't seen that one in a while.

"He tried to hurt my mother. Being the protective-asshole that I am, I interfered and kicked his ass good." Dante smiled. It was a nice sight to see after what had gone on this month. "Um..." I cleared my throat before I turned to Alex. He met my eyes, showing some uncertainty on his face about whether or not I should tell them about my latest discoveries. I looked back at the screen. "The diary," I said before I rubbed my jaw with my hand. Both Dante and Aldo frowned.

"The diary? Mariana's diary?" Aldo asked before I nodded. "How... What?" He shook his head in disbelief.

"It appeared mysteriously in my closet. I swear," I held my hands out in defence, "I didn't set this up. I was just as confused if not more."