45 - The letter

I sat in the formal living room with Celeste's head placed on my lap

I sat in the formal living room with Celeste's head placed on my lap. She slept peacefully as I caressed her head and stared at her beautiful face. She had gone through so much these past few days that it actually hurt me inside that I wasn't there to help her.

She went through all of the abuse from him and had to endure it all alone.

It's been a few days since we got back from Sicily and throughout the days we stayed inside. She wanted to rest and I stayed since I wasn't going to let her out of my sight. She was fine with it and apart from her parents and siblings, no one was able to see her.

Even though I was around, she barely spoke. Most of the time she slept or lay on the balcony chair. I kept my distance from her though it was difficult, but Cel came up to me once in a while, bringing me out of my work slump to cuddle.

At least all of the torture was over. Everything was taken care of.

Except for Beatrice. Her father was Vlad. The man that Celeste so brutally murdered. And yet Beatrice would probably never feel bad about it.

She knows what a terrible person he was, I made sure of it. But I don't see how the conversation would go. Gabriele took it upon himself to chat to her on that matter.

My father. My damn father was always around but never cared to take me away from the Satan I lived with. But I didn't hold a grudge against him. Apparently, he wasn't even aware he had two kids from another woman. Well, he knew I was his kid.

That must have been quite weird during the ball at the Louvre while we exchanged s few words.

A light knock disturbed my thoughts, making me glance at the arc of the entrance. I smiled lightly at my father who walked into the room and sat down across from us.

"I hope I'm not disturbing you," I smiled, shaking my head.

"But I do wish that we keep it as quiet as possible," I glanced down at my love, still resting peacefully.

"So that's the girl your mother kept telling me about?" I looked up at him, meeting his eyes. Gabriele was one of the more intimidating men of the Cosa Nostra. Not only did he have enough power, but he looked the part with his lean muscles, a sharp jawline and short, dark hair which was curly towards the ends. That made sense where I got my hair at least. Apart from the colour which was blond all thanks to my mother. His facial expression also was one to fear. He rarely smiled or showed any emotion during meetings or around people that weren't his family.

But around his blood and friends, he was the golden retriever that he was deep down. That alone made me respect him even more.

"You kept in touch with her?" He crossed his arms over his chest. This was one of the times I could see him without his usual formal attire. He wore a light beige sweatshirt with black pants and black sneakers. He definitely seemed fitting for the role of my father.