Chapter 27

Ever since Park Eun-Soo accepted Choi Min-Woo’s marriage proposal, he had been especially happy every day. After he had lost his wife and daughter in an accident, not a single day had gone by without him having any nightmares. If only he had left the house ten minutes earlier or later that day...no, most importantly, if only he hadn’t driven off immediately after the traffic light had turned green, then such a tragedy would not have happened.

Without ever knowing what had happened, he had lost consciousness and went into a short coma. By the time he regained consciousness, his wife and daughter’s funeral had already been over. Additionally, the doctor had told him that he would have to limp for the rest of his life.

Having to limp wasn’t a big deal to him at all – he could still walk. It was somewhat uncomfortable for him to walk with a slight limp, but it was not the source of his pain. The memories and guilt towards his wife and daughter, who could no longer come back to life, had caused him to plunge into the depths of despair and wrecked his life.

At one point, he had even considered committing suicide, but he could not bring himself to do it. After all, he was the child of his beloved parents, and he did not want to break their hearts. Furthermore, as the CEO of his company, he was responsible for the livelihoods of several employees, as well as their families. The moment he realized that ending his life was not the solution, he threw himself completely into work.

However, three years ago, he saw Park Eun-Soo for the first time. His first impression of her was that she was a beautiful person, and after that, little by little, he could not take his eyes off of her. She was like a shining light that had appeared in his dark life.

After hearing that she was divorced and that she lived alone with her two children, he started to harbor hope. However, he had given up repeatedly due to the increasing guilt he had towards his dead wife and daughter. Up until then, he had continued having nightmares while his feelings for Park Eun-soo grew stronger and stronger.

Subsequently, he had overheard Park Eun-Soo’s superior talking about arranging a blind date for her, and that ended up triggering him. He spent a couple of days feeling as though he was on the verge of going insane. Much to his surprise, his heavy heart felt much lighter after he made up his mind. He visited his wife and daughter, and apologized to them, crying for quite some time.

It might seem hypocritical, but he confessed his feelings to Park Eun-Soo, telling her that he wanted to be happy from now on. Strangely enough, he had stopped having nightmares ever since. After he had confessed to Park Eun-Soo and started dating her, he found out that the person her superior wanted to set her up with was none other than himself. He had laughed for quite a while when he heard that. He was genuinely happy; so happy that he was able to laugh out loud for the first time in almost a decade.

“Woo-Jin seems to be getting more and more handsome,” said Choi Min-Woo.

The last time he saw Woo-Jin was six months, right after Woo-Jin had been discharged from the military. Woo-Jin appeared to look more handsome than he did back then.

“What about me!” asked Woo-Hee.

“Of course you look good too, Woo-Hee.”

The siblings resembled Park Eun-Soo and that made them more lovable. Most importantly, Woo-Hee was the same age as Choi Min-Woo’s daughter, who had passed away. Whenever he looked at Woo-Hee, he often wondered how things would have been if his child were still alive. It made him sad sometimes, but he was also certainly excited about becoming a father of another person, in place of his daughter.

While he was looking at Park Eun-Soo and the kids, he thought about how fortunate he was to have tried his hardest to continue living up until now. He was able to show a side of himself that he was not ashamed of, and thinking about how he would be able to take care of three people generously, financially speaking, made him happy.