Chapter 91

Even though there was nothing they could do during the recording, if the sound was rigged before it went on air, it would diminish the emotional impact of a performance. It would be effortless for the production team to tweak the performance so that it will merely sound good but not great. If they were to do that then there would be nothing for people to talk about, and the people in the audience would be the only ones who would debate over the performances.

This way, even if Chae Woo-Jin were to leave the competition of his own volition, Production Director Son would face less criticism for creating such a tight schedule. Furthermore, it would be easier for them to cast other singers. It would be the perfect scenario If someone in their pool of singers defeated Chae Woo-Jin and ascended the throne. However, he hadn’t messed with today’s episode

“Is that so? CEO Park and I are familiar with Woo-Jin’s singing skills, so we’ll know when we watch the episode on TV. In that case, I trust you, Production Director Son.”

–– Do you think I’m someone who would mess with my own show?

“Exactly, you wouldn’t do something like that.”

As they hung up the phone on a friendly note, Jang Soo-Hwan snorted. While Kim Joong-Sun had also given his evaluation, having personally listened to the recordings of Woo-Jin’s practice sessions, Jang Soo-Hwan was dumbfounded when he watched the episode on air.

“If I hadn’t listened to the recordings, I would’ve been completely clueless and gotten deceived! I knew he was going to meddle with it, but they can’t do it right off the bat in the first round.”

Jang Soo-Hwan didn’t know that Woo-Jin had taken it easy and hadn’t put in 100% of his effort in round one. He had only heard Woo-Jin sing to the best of his abilities. Thus, he was infuriated thinking that the production director had already rigged Woo-Jin’s performance.

Since Production Director Son hadn’t done anything yet, he felt victimized for being wrongly accused. However, he was now serious when it came to dealing with Woo-Jin. From now on, Production Director Son would be tearing his hair out while trying to look for singers who could dethrone Woo-Jin in five episodes by using actual vocal skills instead of gimmicks.

CEO Jang Soo-Hwan was very pleased with himself for having a very productive day after fighting to protect the welfare of his artiste. However, that feeling only lasted for three hours.

“Why is he calling again?” For a second, Jang Soo-Hwan felt guilty when he received a call from Woo-Jin’s maternal grandfather, but he quickly realized that he hasn’t done anything wrong. Nonetheless, it didn’t take long for his face to turn pale after confidently answering the call.

The reason why 'Doryeong Who Dreams of Becoming a Hanryang' from The King of the Masked Singers became a hot topic was largely due to his dancing skills rather than his singing skills. Since the current generation had no exposure to Korean traditional dances, Hanryang Doryeong’s dance performance came like a breath of fresh air and was a beautiful surprise. Thus, there was a plausible theory that Hanryang Doryeong went on the show to promote Korean traditional dance. It was not surprising that even the experts of Korean traditional dances marveled at his performance, and showered him with praises, saying that his execution was flawless.

People had also pointed out that even though Hanryang Doryeong’s getup was more aesthetically pleasing as compared to the other contestants, it didn't do justice to the uniqueness and beauty of hanbok.

“I truly did my best!”

Hwang Yi-Young had also commissioned a hanbok designer to make a stylish hanbok for Woo-Jin. After recalling the beautiful hanboks worn by the scholars in historical dramas, she had complained that it was hard to recreate them.