Chapter 56

“I'm aware of that as well. Perhaps during the press conference, or when I get a chance to be interviewed later on, I'm thinking of telling everyone it was my first time doing stunts, so I didn't know what I was doing and shot the scene recklessly. I'll also tell them that I ended up having to write a self-reflection letter because I was reprimanded by you. So CEO Jang, please be my shield. I've shot an action scene like the one today; if I don't shoot one in the future, it's not because I'm trying to weasel out of it in fear.  It's either because it's dangerous or because I really cannot do it. Regardless of what other people say, I simply can't do what I can't do.”

- You sure talk well.

“Also, we need something spectacular like this to catch people's attention or give them something to talk about in order to win against The Blue Castle's Master.”

- Win?

Once again, CEO Jang was flummoxed by Woo-Jin's unexpected words. He had not been worried about the quality of the drama, but it was also true that he had not once thought about the City of Shadows winning against The Blue Castle's Master in terms of viewer ratings or popularity.

“While I don't think we'll be able to win against them, I'm shooting the drama with the determination not to lose terribly to them. Our drama is really good; it would truly be a shame for it to go unnoticed.”

- I understand how you feel, but the drama production company has a marketing team and the broadcasting company will advertise it too, so why are you giving yourself such a hard time and going through all this trouble?

“In order to market and advertise it, the City of Shadows team will need something to work with and show the viewers. Come to think of it, the Blue Castle team has already released the behind-the-scenes video with the main leads in it, and it was said that they would be publishing articles about the drama every day.”

Seeing how Woo-Jin was boldly asserting that he should do something in such a situation, CEO Jang got all choked up for a second. It was as though Woo-Jin was a young boy who had become the breadwinner of the family. It was very sad and heartbreaking. And it only became more pitiful as Jang Soo-Hwan wondered if Woo-Jin had jumped from the high building with such a mindset. Jang Soo-Hwan had a soft spot for pleas like that.

When it came to choosing a production, it seemed like Woo-Jin had picked by prioritizing what he liked rather than considering the show's success rate, so the greed he was showing was rather unexpected as well.

“Of course, picking a production that I like takes priority, but that doesn't mean it's okay for it to fail. I aspire to be successful as well.”

The City of Shadows did not sit back and do nothing. But even though they had been publishing some articles and had started promoting as well, there were limits to promoting the storyline of the drama itself. Apart from Woo-Jin, the other main leads were very underwhelming and the public was bound to compare the City of Shadows with The Blue Castle's Master, which had given people a lot to talk about, from the main leads to the supporting actors.

- I suppose so, but you have to take care of your body too.

“I'll see how things go. I know that my body is precious too. I absolutely will not do anything that's too much for me to handle, so please do not worry about me too much. I'm not that foolish.”

Even though he had wondered if Woo-Jin had done something like that because he was such a smart fella, when he heard Woo-Jin's argument as an actor, he could not blindly oppose, so CEO Jang confirmed it with him again.

- Right?

It might be more productive to think about how to make good use of what had happened, instead of asking 'why did you do it?' However, CEO Jangdid not want reckless challenges like this to keep happening and only hung up the phone after he had repeatedly beseech Woo-Jin not to do it.