Chapter 12- I Will Make Sure

"I can't do it. I can't have your baby" Molly said. "All you have to do is carry the child for nine months. Once you give birth, you never have to see the baby again" Cristiano said. "You want me to give up my baby" she said. "It won't be yours. It would be mine" he said. "You just need me to provide the egg and womb" Molly said bitterly. "Yes" Cristiano said. "No. No way. I can't do that" she shouted.

"Think about it Molly. Nine months of your life for you parents safety" he said. "It's mad. The whole thing is mad. Go find some random girl. I'm sure there have been plenty of girls who you thought you knocked up. Go find one of them to do it" Molly yelled. "I told you I want you" Cristiano said.
"The answer is no" Molly yelled and Cristiano sighed. "Think about it Molly. We'll speak again soon" Cristiano said as he stood and began to walk towards the door. "There's nothing to think about. I already told you my answer" she said. "It's an answer I don't agree with" he said.

"Who the fuck do you think you are? You break into my home and then try to blackmail me into having your child" she said. "I'm not blackmailing you" he said turning to look at her. "Think about your parent's safety" she said mimicking him. "What the hell would you call that? What kind of man are you? If you want a kid go find someone else. My answer is no" she shouted. "I wasn't threating your parent's safety. I was just saying that I will pay their debt" he said. "In exchange for me giving up their grandchild" she said. He groans. "It wouldn't be their grandchild. It would be my baby" he said. "And you think any woman could give up their child like you want me to" she said. "Yes" he said.

"Just leave please" Molly pleaded. "We're going" Zé said grabbing a hold of Cristiano's arm. "You know where I am, if you change your mind" Cristiano said. "I won't" she said and watched the two men walk out the door.

As she heard the click of the door closing, Molly dropped to her knees and burst out in tears. What the hell happened tonight she thought? How did her life turn our like this? Just when she thought her day couldn't get any worse after her fight with her parents. She came home to strangers in her front room.

How could he ask her to do something like that? Why her? Why does he want her? How did he know all the stuff about her? It was crazy. More than crazy. He wanted a baby. Fine but Molly wasn't going to be the one to give him one, she thought as the tears flowed down her face.

"Well that went well" Zé said as Cristiano and he walked to the car. "You shouldn't have hurt her" Cristiano said. "Hey she was the one who got violent first" Zé said. "That's because she was scared. I've fucked up. Haven't I?" he asked as he rested his car. "Just a bit ya. It could have gone worse I suppose" Zé said. Cristiano shook his head. When he had decided to visit Molly tonight he had imagined the result a lot different.

Molly stared up at the ceiling. The sun, shining in through a gap in her curtains let her know that it was morning. Not that it made a difference. She had spent all night rehashing through what had happened yesterday. She found out that her parents owed money to a loan shark and she was asked the one question she never dreamed off been asked. Her parent's situation didn't surprise her. She had spent most of her 18 years been un surprised by them. When you suffer so much disappointment, another one isn't much of a problem.

But asking to spend 9 months with a child growing inside her and then give it up to someone she knew nothing about. She couldn't comprehend what he had asked her. Why would someone want her to have their baby? A baby. Molly had never giving much consideration to having children. She was still young. There was the one time when Sarah thought she was pregnant and the two girls are sat and talked about what she would do if she was pregnant. Turned out she wasn't so, children were never spoken about again.

Molly moved her hand to her stomach. What would it be like to carry something for nine months and then to give them away. Never to see him or her again. She has seen programs on tv about people carrying other couple babies for them and how it was a joy and pleasure for those women. But Molly could never be one of them. Could she?

Relief had rushed through her body for a minute when she had realised that it was Cristiano sitting in the chair and not the man who her parents owed money to.

"Molly" she heard her name been called. "Coming" she said quickly throwing the covers back. She had forgot that Sarah was dur home early this morning. "What happened?" Sarah asked as she stood next to the turned over table and with its contents all over the floor. "Sorry I meant to clean it up last night" Molly said. But she had been too shocked to do it. "I bumped into in the dark" she said as begun to pick up the stuff on the floor. "Oh good. For a minute there I thought someone had broken in" Sarah said laughing. Molly went white. "Are you ok?" Sarah asked. "Fine. Didn't sleep great" Molly replied.

"Morning" Sarah said sounding jolly as Molly walked into the kitchen. "Hi" Molly said. "What happened here last night?" Sarah asked as she pointed to the knocked over chair. "I tripped last night in the dark. Sorry I'll tidy it up now" Molly said as she tried not to moan in pain as she bent down to pick up the chair. "Did you hurt yourself?" Sarah asked. "I'm fine" she said.

"So how did things go with your parents yesterday?" Sarah asked as Molly sat on the couch. "Just the usual" she replied. As much as she trusted Sarah, Molly couldn't deal with having to explain what trouble her parents had gotten in to. "So how was your night?" Molly asked Sarah to change the subject. "Lovely. Mike took me to dinner and we went for a lovely walk. Oh he is so sweet" Sarah said. "I'm glad he makes you happy" Molly said. "Do you ever think about what it would have been like if you had you know the with the test" Molly said as Sarah flicked through the channels on the Tv.

"Why are you bringing this up now?" Sarah asked. "Just saw something on TV last night, got me thinking that's all" Molly said. "Who knows what would have happened if I had been pregnant. I am glad I wasn't though. Mike and I aren't ready to be parents. Plus with us going to America in a few months, it would have made things tricky" Sarah said.

"Could you ever give your baby away?" Molly asked. "Ok what has gotten into you this morning?" Sarah asked shocked at her roommates questions. "Just saw this thing about some woman having her sisters child and then went back to normal like she hadn't given birth to her nephew" Molly
said. "It's nice that woman do that. I'm not sure I could. Could you?" Sarah asked.

"I honestly don't know" Molly said and held her arm around her stomach.

"Jorge did you hear what he said" Zé asked his brother in law's agent as the three men sat in Cristiano's bedroom. "Every word" Jorge said. "And" Cristiano" said as he looked up to watch his agent. "And I'm weighing up how important of a client you are to me wanting to push you out that window there" Jorge roared.

"I know it was stupid" Cristiano said. "No stupid is coming up with this surrogacy plan in the first place" Jorge said as he paced up and down the room. "What you two did was insane. Breaking and enter. Causing bodily harm" Jorge said. "Oh come on we didn't harm her" Zé said. "You said she was in pain and would probably have bruises, therefore you caused her bodily harm" Jorge said strongly to Zé.

"Fuck she could go to the papers, never mind the police. You stupid idiots" Jorge shouted. "Will you keep your voice down before Máe comes up here" Cristiano said. "Maybe she should know what you have done" Jorge said. "Look we didn't mean to frighten her and she did give enough lip back" Zé said. Cristiano had been surprised yet impressed at Molly's reaction. Sure she had been scared naturally enough. She had just found two strange men in her home. But she showed fight. She had also shown disgust, something he hadn't missed when he told her what he wanted her to do.

"I should never have gotten all that information on her for you" Jorge said as he pinched his nose. "I want her to have my baby" Cristiano said. "Why her?" Zé asked. "Never mind that. What are the chances she will?" Jorge asked. "She said no" Zé said.

"No is just a longer way of saying yes sometimes" Jorge said to Zé. "Exactly. And she is desperate to help her parents, whether she wants to admit it or not. And I will make sure she says yes" Cristiano said.