Chapter 31- Pushing When You Shouldn't

Elma knocked on the door. "Óle" she said and Molly looked up from her book. "Hi" she said. "What are you doing?" Elma asked noticing all the books on the bed. "I have assignments that are due soon. I thought of something early this morning so I decided to start them" she said. "Ah that explains why you missed your breakfast" Elma said and Molly dropped her head.

She hadn't expected Cristiano to find her downstairs the other morning. She certainly hadn't expected to sit and eat food with him. She didn't know why she had stayed. He was only trying to nice but Molly was still wary of him. The last man she was in a room with he nearly raped her.
"Think my brother was worried he had scared you off" Elma said and Molly pushed a lock of hair behind her ear. "Rumour has it that you like these so I brought you a bowl" Elma said holding out a bowl. "Thanks" Molly said taking it from her without hesitation.

"You know the dining room table might be better to write on" Elma said. "Thanks but I'm fine here" Molly said. "Ok but it's there if you want" Elma said heading towards the door. "Molly" she said facing the bed. "Ya" Molly replied. "I'm here if you want to talk" she said and left.

"You're late" Nuno said as Cristiano walked into the room. "I did text" he said. "Where were you?" Elma asked. "Town" he replied. "Having fun while Molly sits in her room rehashing what happened to her. Of course you went to town" Dolores said as she left the room.

"Wow. Máe is really pissed at you" Elma said. "You think" Cristiano said knowing that his mother was more than just pissed. "Another reason you don't want me to tell her about Molly and your breakfast meetings. You're afraid Máe would tell you to stay the hell away from Molly" Elma said. "Sort of. So" he said looking at the stairs. "She was doing her college work this morning. That's why she didn't come down" Elma smiled. "Oh" he said.

"She really like coco pops doesn't she? She ate like five bowls today" Elma said. "That's good. Ahm can you give her this" he said handing Elma a bag. "What's in it?" Elma asked. "Some paints and pens and stuff she can draw with" he shrugged. Elma raised an eyebrow. "She liked to draw so I thought she might like them" he said. "That's where you were today wasn't it?" Elma asked. "Ya" he said.

The following morning he headed downstairs just before 7. The living room was empty but he noticed the door to the garden was open. "How long have you been up?" he asked as he reached the door. She jumped out of her seat and held her hand to her heart as the papers went falling onto the ground.

"Sorry I didn't mean to make you jump" he said mentally kicking himself as he walked to pick some of the papers of the ground. "It's fine" Molly said as her heart rate started to slow down. "It's not. I should have said something to let you know I was there" he said looking at what she had drawn. "You should show Máe these. She'd like them" he said. "The flowers are really nice" she said. "She planted them when I first came to the city. This is really nice, Molly" Cristiano said placing the picture on the chair.

"Thanks. I didn't realise that I had drawn so many" she said looking at the rest of the pictures. "You hungry?" he asked. "I could eat" she said and he smiled. "Wonder what you would like?" he joked holding the door open for her. She moved quickly passed him and he noticed she was wearing his sweatshirt again. In fact she had worn it every morning since he had given it to her.

"How long have you been up?" he asked when he sat down on the couch. "A while. I couldn't get back to sleep after a..." she but the spoon in her mouth. "After a nightmare" he said and she dropped her head. She sat up straight and flinched moving her hand to her ribs. "Are you ribs still sore?" he asked. "A little" she said.

"Your bruises have faded" he said and her hand went to her neck. "I guess" she mumbled. "You took a pretty bad fall from the bed in the office. Your ribs will probably be sore for a while" he said. "Don't" she snapped. "Don't what" he asked. "Just don't. I don't want to talk about that day" she said sternly. "Maybe you should" he said taking a seat on the couch. "Just stop" she said.

"It might help you" he said. "Help me. How would it help me? More like help you. Admit it you only want me to talk so you don't feel bad about what happened?" she said. She was right about one thing. He did feel bad about what happened? "Why do you want me to talk? What do you want me to say? Do you want me to tell you that I'm frightened?" she roared. "Of me?" he said shocked. "That's all you care about. You. Not me" she said.

"You have been through a lot" he said. "Yes I have. I have. Not you. So shut up" she shouted. "You haven't been yourself since it happened?" he said. "You don't know me. You don't know what I'm like. I'm someone you saw you could persuade to have your kid. You know nothing about me" she yelled.

"I know normally you can't keep your mouth shut" he said standing up.

"Molly, you're out of your room" Dolores said rushing down the stairs in her robe. "What's going on?" Elma asked.