Chapter 27- How Would You Cope?

Molly heard voices but didn't move. She didn't know how long she had been in the bed and she didn't care. Her whole body ached. Her neck burned and her ribs stung with pain. The blankets covered her. But not enough for Molly. All she wanted to do was to hide away. Stop them from staring at her. She just wanted them to leave her alone. Leave the room. But they didn't. She heard them talk. She heard the worry in their voices.

"The poor girl" she had heard them all say over and over again.

I'm the poor girl, Molly thought as tears fell from her eyes. The poor hurt girl again, she thought. She could feel him all over her body. The smell of his breath on her. The feel of his fingers touching her body. The look on his face when he was all alone in the room with her. His touch, she thought as the bed dipped.

"Molly would you like something to eat" Dolores asked pulling the blanket off her face. Molly didn't answer. She just stared at the window. "Molly you need to eat" Dolores said but Molly again didn't answer. "Máe she'll eat when she wants to" Elma said.

Molly would have laughed if she had the strength to. Why would she want to eat? Eating is for life. For strength. Molly had no strength left. Why did it have to happen to her, she thought. Why did her parents have to be addicticts? Why couldn't the loan shark leave her alone? Why couldn't.... Just why?

Dolores hadn't left Molly's side since she was brought to the house. She had been more than shocked when she had seen Molly in Zé arms. But when she had heard where she had been coming from, Dolores felt ill. What had her son done to this poor girl?

"Máe she'll be ok" Elma said as they watched Molly from the door. "Would you be?" Dolores asked her daughter. "When do you plan on speaking to Cristiano again?" Elma asked. Dolores said nothing. "Máe it's been three days" Elma said. "Yes three days I've watched that young girl suffer. I've watched her blank eyes stare at nothing..."Dolores said shaking her head. "It's not his fault Máe" Elma said. "Don't Elma. Not now and not in this room" Dolores said and moved to sit in the chair beside Molly's bed.

Elma watched her mother. This whole situation was a mess. Everyone was in pain. No one more than Molly. She only spoken a handful of sentences since she awoke from her unconscious state on Monday. Elma knew Molly was in pain. She wouldn't be still here if she wasn't coping, Elma thought as she left the bedroom.

"I thought my cooking was good?" Nuno asked Elma as she came into the kitchen carrying the tray of food Dolores had tried to get Molly to eat. "She didn't want to eat" Elma said as she placed the tray on the kitchen counter.

"How is she doing?" Cristiano asked from the couch. "How do you think?" Elma snapped at her brother. Cristiano lowered his head. "I'm sorry Cris. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I'm just worried about Molly and Máe" Elma said. "Has she spoken to you?" Cristiano asked. "Molly or Máe?" Elma asked knowing Cristiano hated that their mother wasn't speaking to him.

"Both" he said. "Molly is just laying there. I thought she might speak more when we arrive back in Manchester but nothing. She just climbed into the bed and pulled the covers over her. Blocking us all out" Elma said. "How did you get her to come back here?" Cristiano. He was surprised when he got the call to say they were all coming back from Lisbon late last night. "She just followed Máe. She has this blank look on her face. She didn't but up a fight or anything" Elma said.

Cristiano felt sick listening to what his sister was telling him. He hadn't seen Molly since Zé carried her out of the doctor's office. His mother had refused to let him see her and he had left to get back for training first thing Monday morning.

"It's all my fault" Cristiano said. "You didn't attack her Cris" Nuno said. "I might have had according to Máe" Cristiano said. "She was in shock. We all were. We still are. Máe will calm down. Just give her time" Elma said. "And Molly?" he asked. "She'll talk when it's right for her" Elma said.  

Let me know your thoughts.