Chapter 30- Making Progress

Cristiano rubbed his eyes as he took the bowl in his hand. He was never a morning person and it was early for him. "I swear my sister has every episode of that show recorded" he said looking at Molly. She was sat in the chair with the TV remote in one hand and a bowl in another. "It's a good show" she shrugged as she pressed play on another episode of the Big Bang Theory and rested her head against the back of the chair.

They had been doing this for the last few days. He would come down stairs around 5ish and find her staring out the window. He would pour them both a bowl of cereal and they would watch TV together. He really wanted to talk to her but Molly eating was the first step. Getting her to talk was the next.

Occasionally she would say something but only after he spoke and mostly he thought she only spoke to shut him up. He knew he she had stayed in her room during the day. Elma had told him that she had spoken to her but nothing much.

"Elma said she left some of your college books in your room in case you wanted to them" he said. She shifted in her chair. "I should look at them but I don't feel like it" she replied. "I was like that when I went to school. Máe used to have to sit me down and watch over me so I did my homework" he said and she nodded. "Want another bowl?" he asked. She tilted her head thinking. "You know you do" he said.

As she went place the bowl on the coffee table, he went to take it from her and their hands touched. She recoiled and the bowl went falling to the ground. "Shit I'm sorry. I'm sorry" she said bending down to the ground. "Molly it's just a bowl. It doesn't matter. Be careful" he said as she went to pick up the pieces. "I've already broken two glasses this week. It's no big deal" he smiled and she stood. "Why don't you sit and I'll get you another bowl" he said picking the pieces up.

"I'm fine" she said. "Or are you carb cereal kind of a girl" he said as he walked to the fridge. "Yuck. Really?" she asked in disgust. He didn't think she was but didn't know what else to say. "I don't know why we have so many boxes of coco pops in this house" he said. "Alicia likes them" she said. "Chocolate I guess. What girl doesn't like chocolate" he smiled pouring another bowl. "I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid" she said and her eyes turned sad. He frowned. Why?

"Did you draw this?" he asked holding the paper up. She looked up at him and bit her lip. "It's good who ever did it" he said staring at the small drawing of Marcosa on the edge of the newspaper. "Thanks" she mumbled. "Do you draw a lot?" he asked pushing the bowl along the counter. "I used to" she said and took a seat on a stool. "Ever think of studying it?" he asked. "I did but.." she stopped. "But?" he asked putting the spoon in his mouth. "But?" he asked. "It was just a silly hobby ok" she snapped.

"A hobby that you are good at" he said. "And you know that from one crap picture" she said. "Call it intuition" he said. "Think these early mornings have gone to your head" she said swinging the stool around and headed to the stairs.

"Same time tomorrow" he whispered.

"Ronnie" Nuno said tapping Cristiano's head. He groaned slapping the hand away. "Fine but don't blame me if Fergie is pissed you're late for training" Nuno said and Cristiano said up in a rush. "What time is it?" he asked in a panic. "You've got time. So don't worry" Elma said. "Good" he replied. "Why are you asleep on the couch?" she asked.

He had come down early like he had the past few days but Molly never appeared. "I must have falling asleep" he said. "Why are there two bowls on the table?" she asked. He stared at his sister and took a deep breath. "One is mine" he said. "And the other" she asked. "Is Molly's" he whispered. "What?" she yelled and Nuno looked up from the cooker. "Will you be quite" Cristiano said. "How?" she asked.

"I found her down here a few mornings ago. And since then she's been having breakfast down here" he said. "With you" she said. "I surprised her but she didn't tell me to leave. She just eats and occasionally speaks" he said. "Wow" she said shocked. "Ya but she didn't come down this morning" he sighed. "Maybe she got sick of you" Elma joked. "Or maybe she's scared of me" he said. "Why? What did you do?" she asked. "Nothing" he said annoyed. "Then why do you think she's scared of you?" Elma asked starting to get annoyed with her brother.

"Yesterday I went to take a bowl from her hand and our fingers barely touched but she pulled her hands away" he said. "I wouldn't worry about it. She's probably just a little anxious. It's expected after what she went through" Elma said. "Maybe. Do me a favour?" he asked standing. "Don't tell Máe" she said. "Ya. Look Molly just wants to be left alone" he said.

"She lets you be around" Elma said. "Ya because I said I wouldn't talk to her" he said. "And have you?" she asked. "She only talks here and there and its better than nothing" he said leaving his sister.