The Sound of Compassion

It was the start of the school year in François Dupont High School. Students flooded the halls with stories from last summer, and groans of frustration from the students who didn't want to go back.

However, to one student, the conversations of everyone sounded like noise. An unwelcoming sound to the ears that disturbs his day. He rolled his eyes upon seeing some rather emotional students, who were crying for reasons he didn't care to know.

The person beside him gave him a light punch on the shoulder, turning his attention to him. "Lighten up Fé, it's just another school year," Adrien, his cousin, told him as they ascended the steps to their classroom. "It's more of the thought to seeing that annoying brat you call friend," Felix replied.

As if on command, someone collided to them and gave them both kisses on the cheek. Both cousins cringed at the contact, knowing full well who it was.

"Oh, Adrikins, Felibear, it's been so long. I haven't seen either of you last summer," Chloe said in a rather dramatic voice as she fluttered her eyes at them.

Felix scoffed at her and fixed himself and replied, "We intended to," he replied in an annoyed tone. This made the girl cackle as she spiked his shoulder, earning her a glare from the boy. "Don't be ridiculous, we were just all too busy with our high class lives," she replied. Adrien simply laughed awkwardly and said, "Yeah, sure."

Adrien then grabbed his cousin and dragged him into the classroom, hoping to escape the blonde. Once they entered the classroom they gave out a sigh of relief and took a seat in the front. They didn't dare to separate from each other, in fear that Chloe or Lila would sit next to them like last year.

"Let's just hope neither of them would sit behind us," Adrien hoped for. Felix nodded in agreement, not wanting any of their attention. The two fell into a comfortable silence as they awaited for the classroom to fill with students.

As their classmates entered, the room got noisier, in Felix's opinion. He looked at all the faces and was glad that he knew most of them and didn't need to learn about the person. They were also grateful to have their best friend, Nino, and his girlfriend, Alya, to sit behind them.

"Hey, my dudes," Nino greeted them giving each a first bump and a curt nod to Alya. "Morning," they replied in unison. The four of them began to start a conversation on how each of their summer was celebrated. That is, more talking on Alya's end and listening on Felix's end.

The bell rang, signalling that class are now in session. The door opened to Ms. Bustier, along with a student tailing behind her. The classroom quieted as the teacher clapped her hands to grab their attention.

"Good morning class, welcome back," Ms. Bustier began as the student behind her fidgeted a little. "Before we start I would like to introduce a classmate of yours that may need special attention," she continued as she gestured towards the girl beside her.

She tapped her shoulder causing the ravenette to take out a white board. The girl had blue hair tied in two ponytails and bright blue bell eyes. She wrote something on her board and faced it to them. The students began to read it as a few gasps were heard, as well as whispers and sympathetic looks were given.

"Hello everyone, my name is Marinette Dupain-Cheng. If you're wondering why I'm using this board, it's because I'm deaf," was what was written on the board. Felix eyes widened in interest, given that he had learned sign as part of his lessons as a child.

"Now, I would like you all to take good care of Marinette. I would not like anyone bullying her because of her disability, she is a student just like all of you," Caline warned. "She will be joining our class because she had requested from our principal to be placed in a class of students without disabilities as a new environment. Treat her nicely," she finished as the students nodded in agreement.