Chapter 12 - Good. Pass

“Then, am I …… supp, supposed to…… work…… at night?”

Her trembling voice showed how nervous she was. Kahel’s eyes sharpened because of the doubts that this woman was expecting him to sleep with her.

“Why are you asking that?”

“That, in fact…… I’ve never, I’ve never done it…… I know…… nothing, and I’m really ugly, really, really, not much, I can’t please my master…… please…….”

Lena remembered the ‘bedroom etiquette’ that Mrs. Marvin had taught her, and she did her best to appeal that she was not attractive. And Kahel softened his aura as he saw Lena clenched her fists and desperately making excuses. That wasn’t the attitude of someone who wanted to do something like that.

“Good. Pass.”

“Yes?”

Lena looked at Kahel with a bewildered expression. But Kahel was calm.

“I will tell the butler and the maid chief. This week, learn the basics of the structure of this mansion and the Luave family. And starting next week, you will work as a maid under me.”

“Yes?”

Lena’s eyes widened. He’s a Duke here. A Duke is a very high ranked person, like a king. In general, it is common for a duke or count to have a noble male attendant or aide next to him, but even if he had a maid, the position of a maid close to such a person would be different from that of a normal maid.

But can the illegitimate child of a beheaded noble sit in such a great place? That, too, starting from next week.

Without even giving a glance to Lena, who was staring blankly at him with puzzled eyes, Kahel hung Calia around his neck and rang the bell calling the butler. Then, Arder, who was waiting outside, quickly appeared.

“Did you call me, Your Excellency?”

“I will use this child as my maid from next week. Teach her.”

It was Arder who was always quick-witted, but he could not easily understand the words Kahel had just said.

“Your Excellency. I’m really sorry. I think I misunderstood, yes, but just now…… Did you say maid?”

“Don’t make me say it twice. She worked as a maid in the Barony for a long time, so you only need to teach her a little bit.”

“Do you mean…… from next week?”

“Why do you keep asking it twice?”

“Sorry. I will prepare it as you said.”

Arder Higgins, the experienced butler of the Luave family, looked at the huge task that had been given to him and answered calmly. Lena trembled a little at his gaze.

* * *

The next day, Lena was assigned a new room and she was to follow Arder to learn as fast as she could to clean up her mess.

The butler Arder was a man in his late 40s with dark brown and gray hair neatly pushed back. When she thought of a butler, she thought of a thin and skinny old man, but Arder had a solid physique for a butler. However, his personality was as meticulous as other butlers. And he was loyal enough to lay down his life for the Duke of Luave.

The first day seemed to be to learn the basics of the Duchy of Luave and become loyal to this long-standing family. In fact, Lena doubted, as she had never had any loyalty to Barony Fidelia, whom she’d worked for nearly 10 years, but is there any possibility that she will suddenly become loyal to a Duchy she’s only known for a while?. But such doubts were shaken as soon as the butler opened a door in the Duchy’s annex.