Chapter 13 - Different Mornings

The days passed quickly. Generally, there should have been at least five veteran maids or attendants for each nobles who knew the noble society well, who were full of culture, and were well versed in etiquette. That’s why Lena didn’t understand Arder, who poured out so much knowledge on her. She should just be good at the chores the senior maids and close aides tell her to do, but why was he trying to teach her with such impatience?

On a Saturday afternoon, Lena eventually couldn’t help but ask Arder, who warns that she made a noise when she set the teacup down on the saucer.

“Excuse me, butler. As far as I know, tea attending is the work of experienced and high-ranking maids. So, wouldn’t it be better for me to learn something else than this?”

It was a question that Lena was really upset about. There is not enough time for her to learn the chores that she needs to do right away for day by day, but she was frustrated as she was constantly learning only something for the high-class servants that only a maid from a noble family can do. Then Arder said with a look of disappointment.

“Lena. There’s something I forgot to say. I’m sorry, but you are the only one serving His Excellency in this mansion. Of course you have to do all of this. You must stick to his side and work as his limbs. You need to know not only general chores, but also high-end chores like this.”

With those words, Lena’s thinking seemed to have stopped for a while. She stared at Arder with his head up high.

“Wha, what…… are you saying now…….”

“What part of what I was saying doesn’t make sense?”

“The Duke is a very high-ranking person. I heard that he is second only to the Queen.”

“Right. You know it.”

“Then why is there no one else attending him?”

“As of right now, he doesn’t want it. And it is our duty to follow the master’s wishes. His Excellency has said that you will now be his personal maid, so you just have to follow that word.”

Lena thought again. This Duke was so strange. Wasn’t the higher people are, the more they don’t like to lift a single finger? Why did the second highest person below only the queen live without a maid by his side?

‘Or is Ardennes a bit different from the countryside? The better a man, the more humble he is. In the countryside, the nobles are abusive, but it seems that the high-ranking people here are rather frugal and simple.’

Lena found a direction she could understand with her head and forced it into place. After that, it didn’t even feel very strange. It’s just that her feet felt like they were on fire.

“Will I be beheaded for not being able to work… ?”

Seeing her trembling white face, Arder tried his best to comfort her.

‘I don’t think he’s going to let you go just because you’re bad at your job.’

Even if Lena was a real spy, Kahel would use the maid as a tool to plot an attack on the Santella family, so there was no way he could kill her for a minor mistake.

And Arder, who had been watching Lena for days, thought she might be the key to unlocking Kahel’s long-standing curse.

* * *

“Go away! Don’t come! Heeuk, huk!”

The boy who was pushed to the windowsill shouted at the woman who was approaching him. The woman’s eyes looking at the boy were blank as if in ecstasy.