Chapter 54 - Dance Partner

“Wow! That’s what ‘fireworks’ is all about! cool!”

Lena, who ate the generously provided dinner till her stomach was full, and after washing lightly, came up to her room and looked out the window, surprised by the suddenly bright sky with a ‘pop’, and muttered in an ecstatic voice.

She had heard from her mother before. In Ardennes, it is said that on the night of the New Year’s Celebration, fireworks are shot into the night sky to create a large flame. Like this firework, it is set out in the hope that everything will prosper this year.

At that time, it was difficult to imagine what it would look like, but when she looked at it, she could tell at a glance that it was the fireworks. It was really a fire ‘flower’. Flowers blooming with bright light splendidly embroidered the black night sky, setting off new sparks of hope in people’s hearts one by one.

In line with the New Year’s Celebration, bloodstone street lamps combined with lylock lit up the streets around the Royal Palace for the first time. The light could be seen even from Lena’s room, so the surrounding area would be as bright as the daytime. The sound of street musicians’ violins, people singing, and dancing men and women and children’s laughter seemed to be heard here as well.

But what she was more curious about was what was going on inside that splendid Royal Palace. There are very few girls who never dreamed of becoming a princess when they were young.

“There must be noble ladies dancing in pretty dresses…….”

Lena, who had been grinning unknowingly and muttering blankly, suddenly remembered Kahel, who was dancing with the butterfly-like ladies.

‘How will the Duke dance? I can’t even imagine.’

Kuku, a laugh leaked out. He was sure to attract the attention of the ladies, but he didn’t seem to be able to dance well. He sometimes shows a very friendly smile, but most of the time he doesn’t smile well and doesn’t talk much.

As she thought about dancing, she remembered a new dress she had been given as a gift a few days ago. Kahel had previously ordered it. The dress, which was quietly hung in her room without being noticed by others, was so pretty that Lena had never even dared to imagine it. But when she saw that dress, her first thought was, ‘Will I ever wear this?’

Even though it is a banquet dress from anyone’s point of view, there is no way that she could attend the banquets of nobles as a maid. This dress was probably the gift for her eyes to enjoy until she died. But it was too sad to just leave it unattended.

‘Shall I wear it?’

Lena decided to try it on and threw the pajamas behind her back. After all, the workday is over, and the Master and guests of the mansion will be enjoying the banquet until dawn, so there was no need for anyone to find Lena.

‘Wow…… ! Like a princess!’

The dress, with cream lace over a lilac fabric that resembled Lena’s pupils, was perfect for Lena. The frills from the neckline to the skirt and the ribbons everywhere gave off a cute feeling, but it didn’t feel childish or excessive.

“Pretty…….”

Lena was amazed at the dress she wore for the first time in her life. Then, while at it, she braided her hair, rolled it up, and put a little rouge on her little finger, and tapped it on her lips as well. Then, she was more like a princess, and her heart was pounding.

Lena turned in front of her mirror and looked at her back, and she spun around again, watching the beautiful spread of the skirt. Then she thought, taking out the coat hanger from the corner of the room and placing it in the middle of her room. She took a headband out of the drawer and tied it like a cravat over the top of the hanger, pulled out a woolen coat and put it on the hanger, and it looked like a man at first glance.