Chapter 41 - More Surprising

Every time Liddell called her in a friendly voice, ‘Maybe this time…… !’ She looked forward to it, but the work given to Elliot has always been chores. It’s barely a position better than the normal maid.

Every time she realized that she became madly envious and jealous of the chief maid, Maria, who was trusted by Liddell. Maria doesn’t seem to be prettier than her, just look at her appearance, and she didn’t know how Maria could become Liddell’s chief maid, as she was also a Baron’s Lady.

‘It’s unfair! It’s unfair!’

Elliot grabbed Liddell’s silk robe and clenched her teeth. First of all, no matter what happened, she had to regain her status as a noble.

And, Liddell looked at Elliot’s back, as she search for the maid to wash the laundry, with her face revealing dissatisfaction, although she pretended not to be.

* * *

“Wow…… ! It’s all snow!”

They said it gets colder the further north you go, so no wonder, Sharden was already a snow country. It was cold enough that she could even breathe clouds in the carriage, but Lena looked around the snowfield the whole time with a curious expression. Kahel was convinced that Lena would love sledding.

When the carriage arrived at Sharden mansion, the waiting servants ran out and moved their luggage, and the butler, the maid, and the servants of the mansion greeted Kahel politely. However, when a young woman followed after Kahel from the carriage, they were surprised as if they had forgotten that they were even in front of the Duke.

Someone had to act as a representative and explain her identity.

“Welcome, Your Excellency. You must have been tired after a long trip, so it is best to take a bath in hot water first. How many baths would you take?”

Marianne, a seasoned maid who followed Kahel, naturally raised a question about the relationship between the two. Unless the woman was the Duke’s lover, she would be able to use the bath only late in the evening after he had finished eating.

“First, only I and Lena will use it. After dinner, prepare it for the rest of the party.”

At those words, the employees around swallowed their breath silently. The fact that the mature Duke had a lover was not a common occurrence within the family. However, Lena quickly poured cold water on their inflated anticipation.

“Your Excellency! I, I will wash after eating. I have to organize my luggage and greet the chief maid…….”

“You can greet the chief maid now, who else are we going to meet? Marianne! This is my close maid, Lena. This maid is doing all my attendings. Know that she is the one who has to wait by my side all the time.”

Everyone was surprised once again. Everyone knew that Kahel could not have a maid or servant by his side. But she is a close maid, which was more surprising than if she was Kahel’s lover.

Curiosity filled everyone’s minds, but they were thoroughly trained as servants of the Duke’s family for a long time, and they bowed their heads without expressing their feelings.

However, Lena’s situation, who was much younger than the chief maid, was a little different. She was restless as she seemed to have become a maid who defied the authority of the chief maid in front of the servants. Now, everyone’s looking nonchalant, but the thought of what kind of bullying she might face while staying here is upsetting.

‘Even Mrs. Marvin, the chief maid in the village, was so anxious when she could not assert her authority. What about the Duke’s chief maid?’

Kahel’s stride towards the mansion gave her no time to excuse and forced her to follow, but she felt like she would have to take the time to greet the chief maid properly.