01.3 - Lin Heng

The original Zhao Meixiang did not meet Lin Heng until months before their wedding date. The Viscount had to drag his spoiled daughter, kicking and screaming to meet her betroth. When she finally met the young man and fell in love with him, she was already too late in the game. Lin Heng feelings for Liu Jiaying foster for almost six years before Zhao Meixiang entered his life. With no other women to compare – no other soul to pour his heart to, his feeling for Liu Jiaying became unbreakable. By the time Zhao Meixiang made her appearance, the game have already ended.

The present Zhao Meixiang knew the game and decided to attack Lin Heng when he is still young and weak. She entered Lin Heng life the moment the time when his heart was most vulnerable. The best time to attack a person is when he or she is heartbroken. Despicable? Some may say so. But isn't it also true that all is fair in Love and War?

"Meixiang, are you cold?"

Zhao Meixiang was lost in her own thoughts when the warm voice brought her back to focus. For the past few weeks, Meixiang would visit the Lin family with her father. Each time, Lin Heng would take her around the expansive Lin estate, showing her all the gardens and private quarters in his family home. Of course, the Viscount was careful to have a few maids to follow Meixiang around. Now that the young Lin Heng seems to show interest in his daughter, the Viscount took precaution to his precious daughter's virtue.

"Come, bring over the coal" Lin Heng ordered the nearby servants.

Before Meixiang could say she was fine, several stone buckets were placed all around her.

"Thank you..." Meixiang smiled softly – carefully keeping her eyes on the folded hands on her lap.

Currently, they were sitting in the plum garden underneath the small pavilion. Sitting across from one another, the two had been watching the plum blossom trees for a while now.

"Ah... it's snowing..." Meixiang was surprised when a snowflake fall on top of her hand.

Turning, she looked out at the garden to see the gentle snow fall. Against the fallen plum blossom, the white flakes blended charmingly.

So white and pink

Cold but warm, sinking

Falling yet still blooming

Meixiang recited quietly while gazing at the blend of fallen plum blossom and white snow flake. She had forgotten that she was not alone until Lin Heng responded with another poem.

White and pink blooms

Unknowingly, the light blossom

Spring is imminent, soon

Hearing Lin Heng's response to her poem, Meixiang smiled. When a plum blossom flower falls right in front of her, she held it in her palm.

"You must like plum blossom..." Lin Heng watched the quiet Meixiang as her attention was on the small delicate flower in her white porcelain hand.

"Who does not like plum blossom?" Even though Meixiang was smiling at the flower in her hand, it did not escape her that Lin Heng's expression changed ever so slightly by her rhetorical question.

"Some prefer a stronger flower"

"Stronger flower?"Meixiang repeated – her voice held confusion while her eyes lifted to meet Lin Heng. "What flower is stronger than the plum blossom? In the middle of winter, only the plum blossom blooms. While the world is covered in white, this pink flower still blossom"

While Lin Heng was startled, Meixiang looked back down at the flower in her hand smiling softly to herself. Just as Lin Heng wanted to speak, a young maid appeared and rushed to Meixiang side.

"Miss, master said it's time to leave"

"It's barely an hour since you came" Lin Heng couldn't stop himself from speaking his mind.

When he realized what he had said, he quickly turned and coughed into his fist – hoping to hide his embarrassment.

"Meixiang bid Lin-gongzi a good day" Meixiang gave her usual quiet smile as she stood.

Lin Heng wanted to ask the young girl if she was going to visit again but stopped himself. While Meixiang walked away with her maids, Lin Heng stood underneath the small pavilion watching after her.

"Miss..." A maid who was holding Meixiang's arm whispered with a smile. "It seems Lin-gongzi have fallen for_"

"Do not speak foolishness in someone else home" Meixiang voice was calm and steady, revealing no emotion.

"Y_ Yes miss, forgive me to speaking out of bounds" The maid quickly lowered her head and said nothing else.

Walking quietly in the empty corridor, Zhao Meixiang's expression was unreadable. No one could see through her thoughts. She had made sure to keep it that way. After all, the Meixiang now is different from before. She wasn't foolish enough to lose in the game call love. Yes, Lin Heng was indeed drool-worthy, but Meixiang knew better. The man may be somewhat interested in her now, but what's to say he will continue to be interest if she gave in to his charms so easily. Plus, the protagonist of the story has yet to reenter the game. Right now, Zhao Meixiang is a temporary distraction for the young Lin Heng – the rebound love. After three months, Meixiang has to head back home with her father. Cities apart, who can guarantee that Lin Heng won't fall for Liu Jiaying again in Zhao Meixiang's absent? First love is always the hardest to forget. For the second male lead like Lin Heng, it'll be even harder for him to forget.

Still, this Zhao Meixiang was determined to win this game – one way or another.