04.21 - Tsai Xuan

The following morning, a group of soldiers all sat on their black stallion outside the gates of Tsai Residence. The sun had not risen yet so there was no one in the streets to see Muxue setting the demon mask on Tsai Xuan's face. The soldiers all watched with envy toward their Commander when he received a beautiful smile from the lovely woman. Cupping her cheek, Tsai Xuan stroke the deep dimple. Even without see his face, Muxue knew the man was smiling at her.

"Go on back inside" Tsai Xuan gave Muxue a final pat on her cheek.

                Muxue watched Tsai Xuan easily and gracefully jump onto his powerful horse. And like always, Muxue stood at the gate to watch the man rode off with his soldiers. The lazy soul within Muxue normally would have sleep long after the sun rise, but on the day where Tsai Xuan had to go back to the east border, she will force herself to get up to send him off. She does this every single time the man has to go back. Her reason? She wanted to make sure the man remember her. Before he completely disappear down the street, Muxue could see him turn to look at her. Each time he does this, Muxue knew she her efforts are paying off.

"Muxue"

                Just when Tsai Xuan disappeared, a soft kind voice called for her. Turning around, Muxue saw Elder Tsai still in her sleeping gown with a warm shawl wrapped around her shoulders.

"Nainai" Muxue went to the old woman who immediately motioned one of the two maids standing behind her.

                The maid held a shawl in hand, stepped forward and wrapped the warm shawl around Muxue's shoulders before stepping back.

"Join me for a walk, my dear"

                Muxue took Elder Tsai arm and walked with her toward her living quarter. Usually, they would go to her tea room and have a light morning meal, but that morning, the two grandmother and granddaughter detoured to the quiet garden. Even without asking, Muxue knew the old woman wanted to talk to her. As to what she wanted to talk to her about, Muxue could take a good guess. Muxue was married to Tsai Xuan for four years and still she had yet to give him any children. For Elder Tsai who wished for a great-grandchild, she naturally grew concern. In the last two years, the old woman had Muxue drink healthy tonic in order to boost her fertility rates. Unfortunately, no matter how much she drinks, Muxue could not conceive. When the physician was called to check on Muxue's health, all that was said was her chances to conceive was low. Devastated, Elder Tsai comforted Muxue - not realizing that the woman did not care. The soul within Muxue was the levelheaded and never beat herself to death on things she has no fault in. The body she currently reside could not have children. Why cry over something she could not control?

                 While Muxue handled the news well, Elder Tsai became more conflicted.  Muxue was a kind and dutiful as a granddaughter. She always put great care toward Elder Tsai and always kept the old woman's company in her grandson's place. Naturally, Elder Tsai did not want to hurt Muxue and so was caught in a dilemma she could not voice out. Little did she know, Muxue was well aware of her concern. Which grandmother or mother would not be anxious - especially in such a world and time period, where children were important part of a home? For Tsai Xuan and his status, it was even more important for him to have a successor. Muxue was not ignorant so understood Elder Tsai's worries.

"Nainai..." Muxue's voice was gentle and soft. "Something is troubling nainai?"

                Hearing Muxue's kind voice, Elder Tsai could not bear to hurt her so smile and shook her head.

"Nainai... please don't hold in your worries... it's not good for your health"

                The gentler Muxue was, the more guilt Elder Tsai felt.

"Nainai" Muxue stopped walking and held onto Elder Tsai's arm. "Muxue knows... I'm sorry nainai... If nainai wants, Muxue can leave"

"Where would you go silly girl?" Elder Tsai immediately took hold of Muxue's hand, as if she was afraid Muxue would run. "And if you go, how would I answer Xuan-er?"

"Nainai... Xuan may be upset at first, but he will eventually forget about Muxue... Xuan is still young... there will be someone more beautiful who can give him what he needs..."

                Muxue indirectly let the old woman know that she was aware that her current responsibility was to give Tsai Xuan's children.

"Don't speak such foolishness" Elder Tsai patted the back of Muxue's hand as if to comfort her. "Xuan-er will not look at anyone else but you"

                To say those words out loud, the old woman realized how certainty the fact was. Her grandson dotes on Muxue completely, and each year that pass, his affection for Muxue does not diminish the slightest bit. Elder Tsai did not want to imagine how her grandson would react if he came back home to find Muxue gone.

"Muxue" Elder Tsai sighed softly as she held onto Muxue's hand.

"But... Muxue cannot stay..." Muxue's voice cracked slightly as if she was about to cry. "Nainai... Muxue can't give Xuan children... but she can't watch him love someone else either... please nainai, if I leave now, we both will be able to move on"

                The more Muxue push to leave, the stronger Elder Tsai would hold her back.

"Muxue" Elder Tsai said gently. "Don't worry about giving Xuan-er children... You both are still young. The physician said your chances to conceive is low but that doesn't mean you cannot."

"Nainai_"

"Do not think or speak of leaving" Elder Tsai scolded lightly.

                Elder Tsai then placed Muxue's hand back on her arm and continued to stroll through the garden. While she walked beside the old woman, Muxue maintained her distressing expression.

"Muxue, do not be unhappy my dear" Elder Tsai patted Muxue's hand on her arm and said gently. "We will put more effort toward her meals and tonic. Gou-mama"

"Yes madam" One of the two old maids who had been following behind Elder Tsai and Muxue, spoke up.

"The summer is coming up, make sure to prepare ices within Muxue's room. If I hear Muxue not comfortable due to heat, everyone will be punish"

"Yes madam" Both the old maid replied while making note to ensure Muxue's comfort.

                Hearing that she will be pamper, Muxue hid a happy smile.