02.3 - Endou Kai

"Noah, come in and take a seat"

Everyone waited over 4 hours for the small boy to appear. Kai Endou had sent a private helicopter out to fetch the child from the boarding school from another country. Mia was impressed that the lawyer was able to get the child to come in such a timely manner.

"Mother... father..."

Mia turned to the small voice and studied Noah Walters. Very much like his father, the boy was very handsome. Even though the boy was still very young, Mia knew in a few years, the boy will develop into a fine young man any woman would be proud to call her son. The key now is to ensure the boy goes with her.

"Noah" Mark Walters made the decision to speak. "Your mother and I are getting a divorce"

Mia laughed inside as she knew the man would speak frankly to his little son. Even seeing the boy's startled expression, the man continued to feed the young child information a child should not be forced to hear. For a small child to hear of his parents splitting up is already difficult, but to hear his father telling him to choose which parent to go to was devastating. Mia hid her amusement as she could even see Mark Walter's lawyer, slightly frowning at the man direct manner toward the small child. Kai Endou had told his friend to let him handle the situation yet Mark Walters still confidently spoke to his son, expecting the small boy to understand.

"Well son" Mark Walters smile was soft and gentle. "Would you like to come with me?"

After he had told the boy what he could provide, he was sure his son would choose him. Noah Walters look at his father for a moment, before he quietly look over at the quiet woman who had not reached out to him in any way. Instead, she sat there wordlessly. He couldn't see her eyes behind those dark sunglasses, but he knew the woman was looking straight at him.

"Mother...?" Noah voice was soft and filled with confusion.

Mark Walters was startled that his son was even bothering to look over at the woman he rarely saw or interact with.

"Is this true...?" Noah voice shook slightly. "Father and mother don't love each other anymore?"

It was such an innocent question but it brought complete silence to the room. Even Mia was slightly moved by the naive boy.

"Noah..."

Mia smiles were awkward. Anyone looking at her smile thought it was because she didn't know how to answer her son. The truth was the soul within Mia was truly loss at what to say to the small child. She hadn't wanted to hurt the boy.

"Mommy is sorry Noah..." Mia said softly, hesitantly. "Father and mother don't love each other..."

She can only be honest. The small child stared at Mia, as if searching for the truth. Mia did her best not to flinch under such gaze.

"Does mother want Noah to go with father?" Noah asked quietly, his head looking down showing sadness and confusion.

"Does Noah want to go with father?" Mia returned the question.

Lifting his head, Noah again studied the woman who he knew was his mother. Ever since he was little, the woman rarely smiles or speaks to him. As soon as he was old enough, she sent him off to another country to attend a private school. There was no memory of her - no recollection of what type of mother she was.

"If Noah wants to go with father, mommy will understand" Mia said gently.

At Mia's words, Mark Walters scoffed.

"Pretending to be a good mother?"

Everyone turned to the man. Mia eyes went cold at the man's negative words, while Kai Endou appeared tired by his friend's impulsive tone. Noah, on the other hand, was startled by his father's sneer and turned back to see his mother still looking toward him in silence. Mia would not respond to Mark Walters' word. No matter what, she wouldn't let the child see an ugly side to his mother.

"I'm not a good mother..." Mia smiles sadly at Noah. "That much is true..."

To hear a mother say those words, any small child would feel hurt. Noah Walters was no different. The more Mark Walters insulted Mia Clark in front of his son, the more silent Mia remained.

"Mark" Kai Endou finally spoke out, firmly putting a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Enough"

Mark Walters was confused until he saw the tears on his son's face. He was at a lost because he firmly believed his son had no bond with a neglected mother like Mia Clark. But he had forgotten that he himself, was just as neglectful as a father. While he could have showed more affection toward the small boy growing up, he left all the responsibility to Mia. When Mia decided to send Noah off to boarding school, Mark Walters hadn't cared and thought it was normal for his son to attend the best school. If he stopped for a moment, he'll realize how hypocritical he was.

"I want mother..."

Mark Walters' eyes widened when the small voice spoke through tears.

"Noah!" Mark Walters was shocked.

Noah flinched at his father's angry voice and closed his eyes shut as if he was afraid. Then suddenly, warmth surrounds him. A cold hand wrapped around his head, pressing him to soft flat stomach while covering his exposed hear. Mia didn't want the small child to hear what she wanted to say to Mark Walters.

"My son chose me. As agreed, 30 million and Noah belong to me"

"You greedy little_"

"Shut your mouth" Mia voice was so cold, Mark Walters was stunned silent.

"So what if I'm greedy. 30 million and Noah for your freedom is fair exchange"

"You_"

"I wasted my whole life for you Mark" Mia pulled out all her cards, showing everyone her winning deck. "Fall in love with you at 16. Married you at 21. I quit school to follow you. I did not dare to dream so that you can live yours. Nothing to show with my life except for my son and you want to take him from me too? No"

Mark Walters didn't know what to say or how to feel about the woman standing before him. Her eyes were hidden but the tears that fall from under the sunglasses revealed her pain.

"No. Noah is mine."

Mark Walter had thought the woman's possessiveness before was ugly, but all of a sudden, her possessiveness toward Noah moved him.

"30 million" Mia repeated coldly. "You think it's a big number, but it barely dents your worth. Don't take me for a fool Mr. Walters. You want me to sign the divorce paper? You want freedom? I want a check and I want you to sign over your rights to Noah."

"You_"

"Talk to my lawyer from now on" Mia did not want to deal with Mark Walters ever again.

Removing her hand from Noah's ear, she bent down and smile to her son, revealing deep dimples on her cheek. Seeing his mother smile so beautifully, any child would be touched.

"Noah, it's time for us to go" Mia doesn't know how blinding her smiles were. "Ready?"

Reaching out a hand, her son did not hesitate to put his little hand into hers. While the mother-son left the large conference room, the three men watched after them in stunned silence.